Part Three.

“Six look at me,” One made me face him. “It’s your eyes. You have a vision sharper than any other creature in this planet. That’s the way they made you,” he rests his forehead against mine. “You and I are the only ones left. We have to survive this. We have to stay strong, okay? When this is all over, I swear I’ll find a way for us to escape this place together. I promise you that.”

On the 19th night, we undergo the last phase of the experiment. A full blast of chemical surged through our veins. It boils hot while mixing with our own blood. I screamed, I know I did. But I endured all of it while desperately searching One’s face inside my head.

I held onto One’s promise longer than I’ve ever imagined. I didn’t realize it that time, but maybe this is what they called love. A fleeting feeling in your chest that only one person, capable enough to do everything for your sake, can give you.

On the 30th night, he kissed me when Dr. Scott wasn’t looking. A soft and fluttery kiss that left me looking like a dumb statue for a moment of happiness. It just lasted for seconds but it left a buzzing noise inside my heart.

Months went by faster than I expected. They transported us to the war zone. I can hear the gunshots and bombings not far away from where we are now. A man in a military uniform gave us orders. They gave us weapons and everything to defend ourselves. We have studied all sorts of things to survive this war. They even taught us how to fire a gun and use bombs, missiles, etc. for these past few months. We even underwent different simulations to make our senses sharper.

On the 101st night, he told me he’ll marry me in front of the other soldiers. The other soldiers teased us and I’m just sitting there at the corner, blushing like a tomato. He even made an effort to make a ring out of molten metal and a small piece of emerald that we found when we made a hideout in a cave.

Just as what they have intended us to do, we went to war. We killed people. We destroyed their lives. And eventually, we became murderers. I know that what we’re doing is wrong but we don’t have any other choices either. The others started calling us ‘The Century’s Strongest Pair of Soldiers’. Before we even realized it, years had passed and we won several wars. We gained awards, medals, and compliments from other people. But we want nothing of that.

We want our freedom. We thirst for it.

On the 1220th night, One brought me a cake and said it was both our birthday since it was the same date when he barged inside my room. I really laughed too hard with what he did. Honestly, I can’t grasp the way his mind works.

Not long after that, the President declared that the time of war had ended. We won. Finally, we are free from the chains of being weapons of war. We’re free from this hateful fate. We can live our lives the way we want now.

On the 1246th night, we danced under the starlit sky. We danced.. and danced.. and danced until midnight. But unlike Cinderella, I don’t have to run away from him to go back home. My home is wherever we are together. I love him. He loves me. That’s all that matters.

One fulfilled his promise. We successfully escaped from the hell that imprisoned us for a very long time. We’re free. We made it… or so I thought we did.