Chapter 4 - Goodnight Kiss

Color bathed the sky while anxiety gnawed at my stomach. I sat inches away from the large windows that ran from floor to ceiling. I dug my toes into the lush carpet while trying to contemplate what on earth I was going to do to get myself out of this mess.

As the sky grew dark, I worried what the night would bring. Although it was foolish, I hoped that this room was truly mine and that Alex wouldn't come looking for me. I was terrified that although Alex had seemed kind and harmless enough during the daylight, that things would change once night fell. That this facade would drop and the man that had abducted me from my room and pressed his lips to my throat as he drugged me would come out to play once again.

With each passing moment, the world around me grew darker. I strained to see any lights in the distance as the scenery before me faded to black. Something to give me direction for when I had a chance to run. But there was nothing. There were no street lights here to filter in through thick curtains. No passing cars causing shadows to race across the room. There was no light except for the stars above tonight. It was so dark I couldn't see my hand if it were an inch from my nose.

So, when when a dim light suddenly poured into the room from underneath the bedroom door, I startled, my fear coming to the forefront of my thoughts once again. Alex must have flicked on the hallway light because I could hear his footsteps growing closer. My heart thrashed wildly in my chest as the door opened.

Alex seemed surprised to see me on the floor. "What are you doing over there?" he asked, amusement in his voice. I didn't answer. Couldn't answer. "I thought you'd be asleep. You came up here hours ago. It's almost midnight." Now, that did surprise me. It seemed like not that long ago that I had watched the sun set.

"I didn't realize it was so late," I said, once I thought my voice would come out steady.

"I was hoping you'd come back after you had calmed down so I could show you around. When you didn't come back, I figured you needed your space to figure things out," he said. He switched a small lamp on before closing the bedroom door and locking it with some sort of code. I tried not to panic as I stared at the locked door. He obviously intended to spend the night here with me.

"I do," I said. "Need my space, that is." My intention was clear, and he picked up on it immediately. He met my stare with a sympathetic look on his face.

"Jamie, I can't do that. I need you to be comfortable around me. Part of that is making sure you know what to expect here," he said, stepping towards me.

"Don't you dare fucking touch me," I said, venom lacing my words.

"You really are a little spitfire. You know that?" he asked, a pleased grin on his face as he stalked towards me.

"I mean it. I don't care what plan you have cooked up in your head. If you touch me, you're going to regret it," I threatened, my heart racing as he drew closer. I no way to enforce it. No weapons. He stood at least five inches taller than me and twice now had proven that I wasn't strong enough to fight him off. He could do whatever the hell he wanted to me and there was nothing I could do to stop him. Tears pricked at my eyes.

"I won't hurt you," he said calmly, all teasing gone from his eyes. I hadn't been able to move. My muscles had locked into place as he approached. He crouched in front of me, his fingers brushing over my arm.

"Please... Please don't touch me," I plead with a whisper, pulling away. My back was now pressed against the window. I had waited too long to get out of arms reach.

"Jamie, I'm not going to hurt you," he said with a soothing voice. I clung to the hope that he wasn't a monster. That he wouldn't force himself on me. "Come here." He held a hand out. I stared at it, lips trembling. "Jamie," he said more sharply, anger starting to bleed into his tone. He hadn't hurt me yet, but he hadn't used that tone with me before either. Fear prompted me to put my hand in his. He brought it to his lips, pressing a soft kiss against my knuckles. "Good girl," he praised. I followed as he rose to his feet, terrified.