[11] Too close to the sun

"Botchama, it's become too dangerous for me to continue the KID charade, I was almost caught and I'm getting old, I'm sorry." Jii told me.

We were at a park and I was playing like a normal kid as he played my guardian by playing along, it would look suspicious for an old man and a kid to be talking all seriously so I suggested the playground in a nearby park.

I sigh as I slid down the slide, no one was around but a mom was nearby so I still played along.

"Its fine, KID can take a rest too. Send in a notice that I won't be appearing for a while." I say, looking down at the sand surrounding the playground.

No matter how hard you try, the sand will always slip away.

"Maybe it's for the best." Jii sighted, I look up to see him bend down to my level.

"I think it would be better if we close the curtain on this magic show." He smiled sadly, I felt my eyes widen as he dropped his smile.

"He's not here with us anymore, we can't keep on living like this, you almost died a few days ago and-"

"Jii-san."

He stopped his rambling as I looked at him for the first time with a harden stare.

"I haven't danced around death to just give up once I see the light. It's not just about avenging my father at this point, but to do the right thing. If we let them continue their killing spree, more kids will end up like me. I don't want that on my conscious."

Jii-san looked as if he wanted to say more, to convince me otherwise, but I wasn't going to back down, and he knew that. So he stayed silent.

"Just be careful, Botchama, the sun will melt your wings away if you're too close to it." I walked around with my hands in my pockets and smirked.

I turned to him, fully aware of how close that sun truly is to me, but it was winter season so it should be fine, besides.

"That's why KID does his heists during the night." I turn away and start for home.
______________________________

"I'm home!!!" I hear KID yell as he opened the door to Ran's.

I glare at him a bit, since when was this his home.

"Hi, Kai-kun, are you hungry?" Ran asked him and he shook his head no.

"I had a big lunch!" He smiled like a kid would, I look back down at my book as I secretly looked at the data Haibara was sending me through my glasses.

"Well, I'm still making lunch for everyone so if you're still hungry, I'll leave a plate for you." Ran smiled at him and he nodded eagerly as she went back into the kitchen.

"What are you doing?" I see KID look up at me as I snapped out of my thoughts.

I take off my glasses and pass them to him as he puts them on and looks in awe.

"Woah, maybe I should update my monocle." He smirks and I snort as I look down at my book, a Sherlock Holmes book, closing it with a book mark in between my page.

"If you keep on updating, you'll soon just become another boring tech theif and it wouldn't be fun to chase a tech nerd." I state and he softly laughs.

I look down at his shoes and see that they have some sand on them. There was a small brown leaf sticking out too. His ears looked red so he must have been outside for a while.

The beach is too far for him to go, and there aren't any trees with those sorts of leafs. He hadn't told me where he went but by looking at him, I can only assume he had gone to the park.

Should I ask? Would that be invading his privacy? Whenever I deduced where Ran goes, she'd always hit me as Shinichi, saying it was a bit creepy.

Was it being creepy?

"What are you thinking?" Kai asked me, I looked up at him to see almost a clone of myself, but with a far more eccentric blue, almost purple in a way.

"Park." I said, looking down at his shoes and he looked down then smiled.

"Wow, detectives are on a different level. How'd you know?" He asked me with a fascinated smile.

I felt my chest become warm with ease at the fact that he didn't looked creeped out. I proceeded to tell him how I knew and the entire time he just looked himself over, every time I pointed out a hint as to where he went, he would look at me with awe, like how a kid would look at a hero they admire.

"That's pretty cool, I envy you." He smiled widely, I felt my face relax as I put on my glasses again.

"Its just plain observation, you do it a lot too, for your magic tricks."

He nods but his fascination doesn't leave his face.

"Yep! But you do it like it's something you do all the time, like a superpower that showns light on every detail."

I feel my lips rise from one side as he just smiled, rambling on like if he didn't have a mute button.

He truly is like the sun.