Episode Four: I Don't Know You

The message came late at night, and it came from the stars themselves.

Of course, what is night to a professor of Luna University, at the height of her greatest achievement, but a time to further her studies?

That's why it was Dr Paris who the university security called to their office, and it was Dr Paris who was asked to decode the message and what it meant for the academics who had come to Mars to study in the 52nd century of humanity.

"I've no idea," she admitted, after spending some time squinting at the symbols on the screen.

The message - whatever it was - was unrecognisable, and continuously changing. For a moment at a time, it would seem like the symbols had settled into a pattern, only for them to jump back into life, randomising.

And then the message was truly delivered.

"Hello..." Dr Paris repeated from the English that had appeared on the screen.

Of course, she had studied English - most professors at Mars University had - but there was something both unfamiliar and spine-chilling about how the symbols had morphed into a greeting in the dead of night.

"Hello..?" the screen said again, waiting for acknowledgement.

The security officer - a young, low-paid amateur working the night shift - went to respond, but Dr Paris stopped him.

"I don't trust it," she said.

The message heard, and it replied. Only, as Dr Paris read the words on the screen, she also started to hear an accompanying voice.

"You would be wise to do so, Dr Paris," said the voice - one she would recognise as belonging to a well-to-do Victorian aristocrat, had she ever travelled in time.

But she hadn't, and the voice was not a gentleman.

"What are you?"

"Beyond your comprehension, but not your curiosity - and thoroughly embedded in your systems, professor."

Dr Paris stood upright and brushed a loose strand of hair back behind her ear with a tired hand.

"What do you want?"

"You're going to help me set a trap."

***
"I'm sorry, I don't understand," Callum confessed once again.

The Doctor was dancing around the console, Jade watching in bemusement.

"It's a university on the moon, it's not a difficult concept to grasp."

"But why the moon? There are plenty of universities on Earth. Trust me. I've been drunk at many of them."

"What can I say? It's the 52nd Century. Everything's more..."

"Sci-fi?" Jade suggested, trying not to snigger.

"Bombastic!" the Doctor threw his arms into the air.

Jade and Callum couldn't contain their laughter, for reasons the Doctor couldn't grasp.

"You're so flamboyant sometimes," Callum explained, patting the Doctor on the shoulder.

The Time Lord merely rolled his eyes and headed for the door.

"Are you pair coming or not?"

"Ahh we'll grab our coats," Jade said, wiping an amused tear from her eye.

Luna University wasn't what either of the companions had expected, and that was evident on their faces. Rather than sci-fi inspired glass domes and flying cars ("why would you need them on campus?" the Doctor had argued), they had materialised inside a beautiful marble building, with columns inscribed with majestic and intricate designs, telling the stories of various alumni of the University.

Doctor Who: Series A [COMPLETE]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara