Ψ Chapter 18 • Dangerous Waters Ψ

Start from the beginning

Ethan steps back. "No, I'm keeping him."

"You can't let the pirates see him, Ethan." Ryder hisses.

"They're coming for me." Charlie's voice comes out as a whisper.

"Raise the black flag." Ethan orders Ryder and he looks to me for permission.

"You can do it. We already have one." I nod and look at Ethan. "If you plan on speaking with them, then they can't see Charlie."

Ryder runs off to do as he's told.

Ethan bites his lip and looks up at my brother. "Will you be okay without me?"

"As long as Xander stays with me," Charlie responds tiredly.

"Okay." Ethan takes a deep breath. "Bring what I asked for to our room." He tells me.

"You aren't going yourself?"

"Someone needs to dress him." Ethan smirks and takes Charlie into his cabin.

"I can do that." I glare.

"Xander, don't get seen." Charlie looks at me, panicked. "They might take you."

Ryder comes back, now equipped with his weapons, two custom daggers and a bow and quiver.

"Ryder, come with me. Ethan won't go himself and I don't know how to navigate your ship." I send a pissed gaze towards Ethan.

He just smiles and takes Charlie inside. Ryder follows me.

I pick Ryder up and jump, the water picking me up and setting me on the Decharts' ship. "Where do we go?"

"This way." Ryder jumps down and leads the way, grabbing Ethan's weapons from where we'd put them in his cabin along with a new outfit, this one darker and definitely made to intimidate.

"Anything else or do we go back?" I ask.

Ryder grabs a picture and a locket from the table and stuffs them in his pocket. "This's good."

I take us back to our ship and to Charlie's cabin.

Charlie is dressed now and Ethan is holding him close, looking up when he sees us. "Thanks." He takes everything and gets dressed. "You should stay with him. Entrust your ship to me."

I sit beside Charlie and the blond lies down in my lap, passing out. "Don't make me regret this, Dechart." I look him in the eyes. "Please, protect my brother."

He looks at Charlie and his expression hardens before he leaves the cabin, Ryder in tow.

My hands play with Charlie's hair and I watch him sleep. He seems troubled, most likely hearing the ocean and its animals. Everyone is panicked. Their king is in a fragile state and the pirate gang, Anepithýmiti, is coming for him. They're terrified.

I am terrified.

It's quiet for a while but then hard shouting and the clashing of swords comes from outside.

Charlie wakes up, shaking. "Is Ethan—is he okay?"

"I... I don't know." I bite my lip.

"Take me to him." Charlie's eyes glow.

"No. I need you safe." I growl.

"Now, Xander."