「forever, always」

第十五话

"And then we ate at this place that has a really tasty beef dish. We even saw the Love Pillar, Kanroji-san, and then..."

Genya listened to the golden eyed girl talk about the things that happened since they last met. Since he had left so abruptly the last time due to him being embarrassed about the hair pin, she also properly thanked him and just had to tell him that she keeps his gift wrapped with cloth and tucked safely away in her inner chest pocket—it made him both happy and flustered that she treasured it so much. He didn't want to admit it out loud, but she was charming and he no longer minded being close to her.

"...and Master Kyoujurou is super kind, but he teases me a lot too, which..."

Which is why, he was greatly surprised when she told him about her position as a disciple under Rengoku Kyoujurou, and how fondly she spoke about the pillar.

A small frown made its way to his face and his expression became taut. Does she have a crush on the Flame Pillar? he wondered. Is he really that great?

"By the way Genya, do you have a brother in the Corps?"

Her sudden question brought the male back to reality and he blinked with unease. "Yeah..." he admitted. "Why are you asking?"

"Last week, he barged into my training session all angry, demanding Master Kyoujurou to spar with him. I said something that ticked him off even more so he wanted to fight me instead. He's so strong, I thought I was going to die—"

"You fought him?!" Genya grabbed the girl's shoulders and scanned over her with wide eyes. "W-Were you hurt?!"

"Ah well, I heal fast," Akiho reminded with a small chuckle, allowing the male to calm down but the conflicted emotion on his face never left after his brother was mentioned. She tilted her head with a curious gaze, "If he's your brother, how come you never talk about him? He's the Wind Pillar, after all."

There was a long pause before Genya sighed sadly.

"...We're not a good terms. I said something really terrible to him when we were kids."

He's really holding a grudge from when they were kids? Akiho blinked incredulously. How bad could things be between siblings? Needless to say, her impression of the Wind Pillar lowered even more. She had compared him to Genya a few times but she could see that the two brothers were different in a fundamental way: Genya looked menacing but he was a big softie. Sanemi was just plain scary. Their relationship was the total opposite of the Rengoku siblings, too.

"Have you tried talking to him?" she asked.

"Just once. You have to be a pillar to even see the other pillars... But since I was found by the Stone Pillar and started training under him, I lucked out and was able to meet him one time when he came by Himejima-san's training ground... But 'Nemi... H-He wasn't happy to see me or even acknowledged me as his brother," Genya admitted, his face sullen as he remembered Sanemi's cruel words to him. "He told me I was worthless and to get out of the Corps..."