「raging fire」

第三十四话

It was a bittersweet goodbye when Akiho left the Mist Pillar's estate once her training was complete. She felt closer to the younger male after their shared kinship and knowing that there was only going to be hard times ahead of them loomed in her mind like a terrible omen.

Next, training with Mitsuri went smoothly and it was followed by Obanai, who, in Akiho's opinion, maybe had more to him than just his hateful glares and unforgiving methods of training. Despite the Snake Pillar's obvious distaste for her because she was half-demon, she could sense something about him that was so similar to her.

"You," Obanai sneered with is snake-like eyes, sharp and unmoving. "Move or I'll string you up on a pole like the other offenders."

The 'other offenders' were none other than demon slayers who were either too slow, too weak, too forgetful, too... The list goes on. Those who couldn't keep up on the training became part of the training, and she had no intention of becoming the latter. But something came over her like word vomit and she became bold enough to finally ask what was on her mind.

"Iguro-san, why do you hate yourself?"

There was almost a collective gasp, almost because every other person in the training ground was either tied up and unable to speak or knew better than to look anywhere except their own training post in fear of punishment. The crack of a bokken against Akiho's forced her to grip tighter onto the wooden sword as heterochromatic eyes bore into her golden pools with hatred.

"What did you say?"

"I-I don't mean it as an insult," Akiho confessed with a small gulp. She could see the swirl of emotion in the pillar's eyes and knew she was treading dangerous waters. "It's just that I see myself in you. I can understand... The way that you seem to hold a grudge on yourself. It's not fair to yourself."

It was much like the way she had hated herself for being half demon. Being a creature that no demon or human could ever relate to. She didn't value herself until she was shown how to by her fellow demon slayers. But why did the Snake Pillar feel this way?

"You think you know my life? Tch. What a piece of shit," Obanai shot her down with a sharp glare. "If it wasn't for Kanroji, I would kill you right here. So scram!"

I've heard that one before, Akiho thought. She could see why the Wind Pillar and Snake Pillar are friends. However, she decided to swallow the hurtful words and not to pursue it as she's learned her lesson from meddling with the Shinazugawa brothers. There was a definite sadness and hatred that surrounded Obanai, but she wasn't the one who should fix him.

"Sorry for speaking out of line..." she backed down and left the pillar with a sincere smile. "Kanroji-san thinks highly of you, so I know you're definitely not a bad person. So... Be kinder to yourself."