「on trial」

第十话

Akiho groaned when she came back into consciousness. Opening her eyes, she didn't know where she was and the only thing she could make out was a dim room that resembled somewhat of a ward for injured people judging from the few empty beds lined up besides her own. She tried to recall what happened and instantly grew worried when she couldn't find the mohawked demon slayer anywhere.

"She's awake..."

"Shinobu-sama said that we should inform her when she's up..."

"But Shinobu-sama left..."

She glanced over at the three small heads that were peeking out from the entrance of the room. Being spotted, the three girls squeaked and tumbled to the floor by accident. "Um...!" Akiho called out to them, "Do you know where my friend is? H-He's the one with a scar and mohawk..."

The three young girls had been told that the injured demon slayer they were tending to was a half-demon, so they had been apprehensive and scared at the thought of her waking up when they were alone. But seeing that the bedridden girl had no intention of harming them, they grew more confident and approached her.

"You're talking about Shinazugawa Genya-san, right?" Naho said. "After the pillar brought you both in, he was okay the next day so he was called away on a mission!"

"Oh..." Akiho was relieved to know that the male was still alive. "Wh...Where is this place?"

"This is the Butterfly Estate! We are servants of Shinobu-sama and are tasked to help injured demon slayers recover," Kiyo explained while Sumi brought over a tray with some liquid medicine.

"Miss, you were poisoned and have been unconscious for five days. You were saved by Shinobu-sama's antidote and now you have to drink this medicine for the next three days. Please take it!"

Akiho nodded and took the bitter medicine in one gulp before processing all of the information she's been told. Like she had suspected, her body couldn't neutralize all of the poison that Mukago had injected her with, but it saved her from dying on the spot because she wasn't fully human. She looked at the bandaged spot below her collarbone where the barbed tentacle had struck her.

"All of your wounds healed by themselves, but the poison wound took longer," Naho explained. "There's a discolored scar there now."

A scar...? She blinked in surprise. Her body could regenerate skin to its original, pristine form, but it seemed that the poison had permanently killed off some of the tissues and caused her to actually scar. However, having a scar didn't seem to upset her the least. In fact, she was slightly happy because being able to scar was a human trait.