~5~

Alina's POV

The heaving in my chest continues to rage as I finally start to slow down. I had managed to find and ride my bike back to my home. Relief not gracing me with its presence just yet.

Hopping off of the silver-rimmed bike as quickly as I can I reach for the back pocket of my backpack pulling out my bike chain.

I quickly run my preferred form of transportation to the now-familiar rusty fire escape before clicking the lock around its wheel. Making sure it's secured.

I release a heavy sigh and place an unsteady hand to my chest. It almost feels like my heart is having a boxing match against my rib cage.

I subconsciously start to close my eyes as I take a few breaths, reassuring myself that I am safe now. I feel warm liquid combine into bigger droplets on the base of my neck before rolling down my back. A shiver follows the sweat trail.

Regaining my remaining strength I heave myself up with a huff. I re-adjust the sleeve of my backpack and begin to look for my apartment keys. Making my way around to the front of the building once again.

Stumbling with the cool metal key I finally managed to open the heavy wooden door. My footsteps making soft thuds against the warm carpet floor.

aaa~ there it is, the relief

The warmth of the apartment building greets me with an embrace. My breathing is only now calming.

Was that a normal occurrence in the big city? Is that why nobody offered to help me or even spare me a second glance?

I remember the cool stairs of every-day civilians as a pass by them in a rush, they all looked so dull as if a pre-recording of the day before. Is that what city life does to you?

I stand in front of my apartment door but I hesitate. My parents are still home, should I tell them about what happened today? They would definitely question why I'm back so early. They know full well that I would stay in the library for hours on end thighs deep into a comic book but,

I'm here, in front of our home standing there like a dick.

Oh well I'll just make something up

Taking a deep breath I open the door and yell a quick

"Hey, papa!"

Knowing if I don't announce my presence I might walk in on something...

"Alina!-"the cheery voice of Aden greets my ears. I spin around in the direction of the kitchen to see his clean-shaven face bop out of it. A sparkle shining in his green eyes when he sees my figure.

A wave of reassurance flows through my body when I see his face. A smile plays at my lips.

I throw my backpack onto our couch that was in between us, as I begin to walk closer to the kitchen.

"Hey! Watch it young lady, your phones in there!" He softly scolds, his Romanian country accent slipping in. He tilts his head to the side as he steps completely into my line of sight. A whisk and bowl of cake batter in hand.

Choking on my spit my eyes widened as a nervous chuckle leaves my lips. I dropped my phone.

Fuck I forgot!

Shit

Yep I can't tell them, I'll be in so much trouble...

"Heh yeah, sorry dad.." I force a smile placing my hands behind my back I advert the topic.

"sooo pops, what ya cookin?" I changed the subject, skipping over to where he stood.

"Oh nothing really Red, just trying out a few things for the shop" the soft blonde shrugs off casually, continuing to whip the batter in the large metallic bowl.