Charlie shakes the man's hand gratefully, accepting her diploma, and turns to throw one last smile for our benefit before retreating down the stairs on the opposite side.

After the ceremony concludes, we find Charlie conversing with her fellow students, in an area on the lawn that's packed by proud families and relieved graduates.

Spotting us, she disentangles herself from the group and sprints toward us, her face so bright it reminds me of the sun on a summer morning. Stunning and downright breathtaking.

"I did it!" She exclaims through a giddy laugh, holding her diploma high above her head.

Her siblings tackle her in a hug and Caroline discreetly snaps a picture of the Gilbert family in the midst of celebration.

"I'm so proud of you," Elena says, teary-eyed. "My little sister, an official college graduate. Kinda doesn't feel real."

"She does still has to go back to get her master's," Jeremy adds cheekily and Charlie rolls her eyes playfully, shoving his shoulder. "I'm messing with you. Happy for you, Char."

I bite down on my mouth, controlling a smile, as she makes sure to get to each of her friends with a warm embrace. Bonnie and Caroline try to wrangle her into taking a group picture, which would inevitably lead to a half hour of the task, but Charlie gently shakes them off, her brown eyes landing on me.

"Saved the best for last?" I tease her, as she runs toward me.

Her arms wrap around my shoulders and she leans in for a tight hug, squealing with laughter when I swoop her off the ground and into the air. Nuzzling my face into the side of hers, I tickle her with my stubble and kiss over her cheek in repeated pecks.

"Fuck, I'm so proud of you," I whisper into her ear and she hums happily. "Who knew being a nerd would pay off?"

"Still making fun of me when I now have this?" She pulls back to wave her diploma tauntingly.

"Oh, I'll always make fun of you, baby." I set her down onto her feet and touch my nose to hers. "It's my job as your boyfriend. Doesn't mean I'm not gonna frame that diploma and hang it up where everyone who dares to enter our apartment can see it."

Her eyes take on a thoughtful gleam suddenly and she touches her hand to my cheek. Observing me in contemplative silence, she gnaws on her bottom lip semi-nervously. I furrow my eyebrows, examining her closely to figure out the reason behind the unprecedented transition in her demeanor.

"Not exactly the celebratory look of a fresh college graduate that you're wearing right now," I tell her playfully. "Missing the assignments already?"

She shakes her head and her face brightens. "Kai. I graduated."

I momentarily debate whether or not I should feel her forehead for a high temperature. "I know, I saw. The huge cap on your head was also a dead giveaway."

Charlie laughs, her gaze affectionate. "I meant, I seem to remember us striking a deal about what to do after my graduation?" She tilts her head, her thumb rubbing my jaw.

Instantly, her insinuation clicks. My mind plays back the cherished memory of us together outside of Josette's wedding, when I'd popped the question out of an undeniably certainty that this woman is, indeed, my lifelong partner.

"I'm ready to spend forever with you, Kai," she adds softly, her eyes glistening.

Sweeter words were never spoken, in the history of this universe. I'm fucking sure of it.

"Holy shit. We're getting married," I utter in dawning realization, excitement flooding through me like an electric current.

She nods, contagiously affected by my leap in mood, and her mouth shapes into a broad grin. "We are. We finally are!"