Seven

The next - what turned out to be nine and a half - hours driving with Kai were unpleasant, to say the least.

I'd spent the first two attempting to ignore his annoying recounts of all the ways he's tried to kill himself in his eighteen years of solitary confinement. Normally, I'd find such a tale depressing but Kai spoke with amusement in his tone, specifically when he got to a part about a guillotine in Washington, D.C.

Needless to say, I tuned him out after this and rested my head against the window, impatiently waiting to reach our destination.

In the next three, we were mostly silent, with a comment from Kai every so often. Eventually, I had to use the bathroom desperately and demanded that he pull into the next rest stop. Rolling his eyes, he complied and I darted out of the car. When I returned, I sat in the passenger seat rather than the back.

Then, in the final four and a half hours of our long and irritating road trip, my eyes slowly closed and I leaned back into the chair, falling into an adequately comfortable slumber.

I'd dreamt that I was back in Mystic Falls, happily chatting with all of my friends and family during one of Caroline's Friendsgiving dinners. Tyler, Matt, and Jeremy were hogging the leftovers of Bonnie's delicious apple pie, a mouth-watering recipe courtesy of her Grams. Caroline, Elena, Bonnie, and I were in deep conversation about our Black Friday shopping plans, giggling every so often. Damon, Stefan, and Alaric were in the midst of their usual banter, in which I'd overheard Alaric calling Damon "a real dick", naturally.

It was a perfect moment, all of us together and the evil we had suffered in the past behind us, at least that's what I thought.

Caroline was excitedly talking about her plans for Christmas, of course, when I interrupted her once I noticed something.

"Hey, guys, where's Liv?"

Suddenly, the door was kicked open and I screamed at who was revealed behind it.

Kai stood in the doorway, a manic look in his eye and blood spattered on his blue button-up shirt and tan skin.

But what terrified me was the sight of Liv's lifeless body, in Kai's arms. Her blue eyes were glazed over, trained on nothing in particular. She was wearing her favorite maroon sweater and the blood stain spread out across her chest seemed to blend in with the color that was once so lovely to me. Her light pink lips were parted and all I could think was how I would never her voice come out of it again.

I ran towards Kai, but my legs were suddenly sluggish. I was moving in slow motion, trying to get to Liv while continuous cries emitted from my throat in frustration and anguish. A smirk pulled at the corners of his lips upon seeing me struggle.

"See, Charlotte," He taunted, as I tried in vain to will my legs to go faster. "I told you this would happen."

"You promised you'd leave her alone!" I sobbed, sinking down the floor in defeat. "You promised!"

"Promises mean nothing to a sociopath," Kai laughed and it echoed off the walls, ringing in my ears.

"Stop!" I shouted, tears streaming down my face.

"Charlotte," His voice teased, drowning out every other sound in the room and enraging me further as my body shook with racking sobs and anger.

"Charlotte, Charlotte, Charlotte...."

"Charlie!"