●32● -epilogue

Chapter 32:
>Proud<
______________________________________
Darcy's attempt had worked. After being shot, and the last of her life drained out of her, the glass finally lost its fight against the crack, and shattered, letting the crank free.

Janson was attacked killed by said crank and Thomas got away with the help of Teresa. It took her a while, for Thomas was trying to fight his way towards the lifeless Darcy.

Teresa wanted to go to her, too. Check her pulse, there was no way Darcy could be dead! But deep down, she knew she was and they had to get out of there unless they wanted to join her.

Time for mourning later, thought Teresa.

After reaching the roof, the building was only moments away from collapsing. Fortunately, the berg, flown by Jorge, appeared and Thomas managed to get on board.

But Teresa didn't. And just like that, another life was lost.

Three of their original post-maze group was dead within the span of about an hour. Three lives gone forever.

Upon realising that Thomas was the only one there, everyone found out silently about Darcy as Thomas was in no fit state to tell them.

Jorge found out the latest, for he was flying the berg and didn't see that only one out of the two who walked away from Newt's body were there.

Fry was the first and only one to utter the question, "Where's Darcy?"

Silence followed as heads turned, almost as if they expected to see her kneeling beside them.

But no one did.

Darcy, along with Teresa, was buried in the rubble of the burning and collapsing building that they were flying away from.

After having just watched Teresa fall to her death, the news of the death of the youngest member of the group was adding more weight to the already heavy hearts.

■■■

The safe haven was occupied by all the survivors. A large rock was placed in front of the sea, a beautiful spot for a rock with a beautiful purpose. The names of those who had died were to be carved onto the rock; a reminder of what the safe haven had cost.

Aris had carved Darcy's name and, as he did it, Harriet and Sonya stood behind him, paying Darcy their respects.

Jorge, along with everyone else, was heartbroken. Darcy had almost been like a daughter to him, just like Brenda was, so his heart was heavy with grief.

Darcy never got to say a proper goodbye to anyone. Even her 'thank you' to Thomas had been weak. Everyone was angry at themselves for not realising that Darcy had walked away from Newt's body.

Frypan and Brenda, who had both come to think of Darcy as a little sister, were also mourning for the death of the young girl.

Thomas took it hard on himself, for he felt it was his fault that Newt, Teresa and Darcy were dead, despite the fact that everyone tried to convince him otherwise.

Even Vince was sad about Darcy. He knew she was brave from all that she did and he admired that. Such a brave soul for such a young body.

Minho, who was never big with feelings, shed some tears over the death of his best friend and the girl who had constantly annoyed him, but whom he had come to think of as a friend.

Were Darcy alive, she would've been proud. Proud of herself and her friends. Even though Janson had killed her, she had also killed him, even if it wasn't exactly directly. If it weren't for her, those cranks would've never gotten the chance to maul him to death.

She was proud of her friends for making it to the safe haven and not giving up, despite all that they had endured. She was happy for them, they could finally live a better life, even if they were haunted by all the horrible memories.

And even though her journey wasn't a completely happy one, she still wouldn't have changed it for the world.