●18●

Chapter 18:
>Darcy's right<
______________________________________
Darcy didn't comprehend what happened next. Shots were fired, screams were uttered and feet were moving.

When she finally had some sense of what was going on, guns were pointed at Thomas. And everyone else was behind him, not out of reach of the weapons. Thomas threw the explosive before turning and running.

"Get down!" he screamed.

And then Janson was on top of him after punching him. A gun was now pointed at Thomas.

But unlike the others, Darcy wasn't frozen in fear. She ran, only just feeling the hands trying to stop her. But before she could reach him, there was a bang and Janson fell.

Brenda.

Darcy ran with Thomas, picking up a a gun from a fallen guard. A few steps later, Thomas and Darcy both skidded to a halt. A guard was before them, a gun aimed at them. Darcy didn't waste time in aiming and squeezing the trigger on her own gun. The guard fell. Darcy pushed the guilt aside, she couldn't afford to deal with it now.

Luckily, Brenda was aiding them. She was a bit further away, aiming at the guards following them.

They ran by Minho who was shooting at oncoming guards. "Thomas, Darcy, get outta here!" he shouted over the ruckus.

Thomas, Darcy, Newt and Fry ducked behind a crate as Minho kept shooting. But he got hit by one of the electric bullets.

"Minho!" shouted Thomas. He began to run towards him, but the guards shooting more electric bullets stopped him.

Just as she was about to run towards him herself, Darcy felt arms restraining her. Newt was holding her back.

"Let me go!" she cried, desperately trying to break free but to no avail.

When Jorge shot down the guards, she was finally released and the boys ran along with her. But they were too late.

Jorge held Thomas back, whilst shooting guards and Newt was once again holding Darcy back.

Thomas gave up once they reached a dune, but Darcy continued to struggle. People were telling her to stop, but she was barely hearing them. Then, as the hatch of the ship that had Minho, Sonya and Aris closed, she fell still.

■■■

Some were walking around the now destroyed camp. Dead bodies lay scattered, fired were still burning. It was a disaster.

Darcy sat a bit across from Brenda, but Jorge came to sit in between them.

"What do we do now?" asked Fry.

"Well, we pick up what's left of us," replied Vince, "we stick to the plan, we get you kids to the safe haven... And we start over, I guess."

"What?" asked Darcy, just as Thomas stood up.

Jorge placed his hand on her shoulder, but she shrugged it off.

"You mean we're not going to get Minho, Sonya, Aris and all the others who were taken?"

Vince looked at her. "There's no point in losing more than we already have."

"I'm not going with you," said Thomas, "Darcy's right. We can't just abandon everyone. And I made a promise to Minho: I wouldn't leave him behind, that I'd have to go after him."

Darcy smiled. Finally someone was agreeing with her.

"Hey, kid, look around you, alright? W.I.C.K.E.D just kicked our ass. You think about where you're headed," said Vince.

"I'm not asking anyone to go with me."

Despite that, Darcy stood up to walk over to Thomas and stand beside him, silently telling him that she was in.

"Thomas, listen to me," said Newt. "I've known Minho for, well as long as I can remember, so if there is any way that we could help him, trust me, I would be up there standing next to you like Darcy, but this... what you're talking about, is impossible."

"More like suicide," said Jorge.

"Way to be optimistic," said Darcy, even though she knew they were somewhat right.

"Maybe," Thomas ignored Darcy, "but I know what I'm supposed to do now. It's not just about Minho, it's about all of us. It's about everyone W.I.C.K.E.D has ever taken, everyone they will take. They'll never stop. They'll never stop, so I need to stop them. I'm gonna kill Ava Paige."

"Only if I can kill Janson."

Darcy earned herself a few sad smiles.

"I have to admit, I'd like some revenge," said Harriet.

Vince turned to Thomas. "Well, that's a good speech, kid. You've even got yourself a sidekick," he nodded towards Darcy, "so, what's your plan?"

"I'm not a sidekick! If anything, he's my sidekick," Darcy huffed, shooting Vince an offended look.

Some people actually laughed.

All the heads turned towards Thomas and Darcy. Some even looked at her, almost as if they believed that she  thought she was also in charge. She only just noticed that Thomas turned to her, too. They shared a look of determination before turning their heads back out to look at all the faces that were ready to hear a rescue plan.

And they were going to do it.

*A/N: wow, me actually finishing the whole of the scorch trials? Didn't see that coming. I'm still gonna write for the death cure, so this isn't the end, you're not getting rid of Darcy that easily :) also, I've written a bunch today so I couldn't help myself, I really wanted to post today. Although, I can use the excuse that this story has hit over 2k reads and it's for celebration? Thank you so much for all the votes, comments and reads. Even though I only post because it's what I love doing, support is very much appreciated!!! (Ps I'm a couple chapters into the death cure and all I'm gonna say is prepare for heartbreak.)*