●16●

Chapter 16:
>Are you dead?<
______________________________________
Darcy sat own her own on top of the large rocks. She wasn't too far away from where Thomas, Newt, Fry and Minho sat, talking. She could also see Sonya, Harriet and Aris talking and laughing whilst sitting around a fire. But she wanted to be alone.

She lay down on her back to look at the sky. She was worried about her arm. Whenever she thought about the bite, it started to hurt. But could it just be in her head?

Th truth was, Darcy was scared. Terrified, actually. But she felt like she had to put on a brave face. She was the baby of the group and she couldn't afford to let the others feel like they had to babysit her. Whenever she made jokes or puns, she was just covering up the fact that she was scared.

Her thoughts strayed to the two times she ran in front of a gun to protect someone. First it was to protect Thomas, then Brenda. Even now, Darcy didn't know why she did it. She barely knew these people, barely even liked them, but she was still about to lay down her life for them. Deep down, she had a suspicion that perhaps she wanted to die. She didn't want to go through the Scorch, hear the name W.I.C.K.E.D, or have the nightmares anymore. She wanted to rest.

But she knew she had to keep going. If she was going to die, she wanted to die bravely, by sacrificing herself or dying whilst fighting someone else. She wouldn't just die for no reason.

She wondered what was in store for the future. If she did survive, would they ever find a home? Or would W.I.C.K.E.D eventually find them again? Maybe wipe their memories for the second time, before putting them back in a maze.

No. No matter what happens, I'm not going back there.

"Are you dead?"

She turned her head to see Minho walking towards her.

"On the inside." She sighed.

He sat down next to her as her eyes remained on the sky.

"Can I help you with something?" she asked. "I was kinda enjoying the peace and quiet."

He glanced at her before looking back out at everyone again. "I thought you were dead and I wanted to throw you off the cliff."

"Lovely."

"I thought you of all people would get a joke."

"I did get it, I just didn't laugh because my jokes are too funny, so my standards are very high. You didn't come anywhere close to meeting those standards."

"Has anyone ever told you that you're a pleasant person to be around?"

"Yes."

"They were lying."

"What are you, a lie detector--"

"What are you two up to?" Newt was making his way up to them.

"Minho was just complimenting me."

"That doesn't sound like him. But anyway, there's food being made, so you should come down."

"I'm not hungry."