Chapter twenty six

I was exhausted after spending hours in the police station, answering question after question. The police had questioned all but my parents, thankfully leaving my father to rest after the traumatic event. But that meant I hadn't seen Jacob in almost an hour and so my anxiety was beginning to show.

"Miss, would you like some more tea? You seem unsettled," a young female police officer, who had been talking to me for the last half an hour, said sweetly to me. My hands were shaking visibly and my feet were tapping sharply on the hard ground. "Yes please, I can't seem to calm down at all," I replied.

The young, petite woman smiled at me. Temporarily resting a reassuring hand on my shoulder, she spoke. "It's normal to feel this way, you've gone through a very difficult situation, as has your friend. But I have to say you're both handling things well."

I smiled up at the kind woman, thankful for her support in this situation. Andres had gone outside for some fresh air as he was still quite angry at Ethan for what had happened. I never knew that Andres had such a horrible temper but it was showing through now. I didn't mind the temper so much since it wasn't directed at me and had a valid reason behind it. I imagined how I would feel seeing someone hurting him or his friends; anger wouldn't begin to describe it.

"Here you go," the officer said, handing me a warm cup of tea. The taste wasn't exceptional but I was grateful for the heat and distraction it gave from the issue at hand. We sat in relative silence for a little while longer until Jacob was brought back into the cold corridor. I shot up, carefully putting my cup on the bench I had been sat on.

Jacob seemed to be timid around the officers, but showed appreciation for my presence when he saw me. "I think that's all we need, you guys can head home now." The tall male officer that had been questioning Jacob said formally. I nodded quickly and rushed to Jacob's side, taking his arm as we thanked the officers and walked outside in search of Andres.

"I'm so sorry Lena," Jacob started, clearly not feeling confident in what he wanted to say.

I shook my head quickly, not wanting to hear it. "You have nothing to be sorry for!"

"If it wasn't for me...you wouldn't be hurt, or at a police station, or-"

"If it wasn't for Ethan neither of us would be hurt or at a police station." I cut Jacob off, desperate to explain to him how this wasn't his fault. "Ethan is the criminal here, not you."

Jacob didn't seem to know how to respond and considering what he had been through I didn't try to push any conversation. Instead, I pulled his arm firmly against my chest and made sure he knew that he was safe.

When we got into the car park, I spotted Andres' leaning against the front gate. Before I could yell out to him, he turned around suddenly and made his way over to us.

"How're you feeling Jacob?" Was the first thing he said when he reached us. I was moved by how much he seemed to care about my relatively new friend. Admittedly, I was worried Andres might blame Jacob for this whole ordeal, considering how angry he was about it.

Jacob seemed shocked at Andres words but I was sure I saw a spark of happiness fill his eyes as he thought up an answer. "Not great, there are many things I need to re-think in my life after this. But...I am glad to be out the other end now."

I smiled at the optimism Jacob's voice held and for a brief moment let myself bask in his positivity. Unfortunately, reality was not so kind to us and droplets of rain quickly began falling from the heavens. "I hate British weather!" I exclaimed angrily, more than ready for my return home.

Andres and Jacob both chuckled at me. "Don't we all," Jacob muttered as we quickly sprinted towards the car Andres had so kindly rented for us a few hours ago.