Chapter five

"So let me get this right," Alex had invited herself round my house bright and early the next morning; as soon as I let her inside she began bombarding me with questions, the majority to do with Andres.

Of course, at the mention of his name, I had found it hard to contain my excitement ended up spilling all of Sunday's events to her. "You baked him a plate of cookies, then he asked you out?" I nodded my head hesitantly, still unsure if he was indeed 'asking me out'.

"You know this means right?"

"He really likes cookies?" I said, only half-joking. Alex shook her head frantically at me, her mouth gaping open wide.

"We're going to be cousins in law!"

The shocking statement caused me to jump and I fell backwards off of the sofa, landing on the hard floor with a thump. "What? I'm not getting married to the guy!" I exclaimed loudly.

"Oh come on, you guys are so perfect for each other!" Alex groaned dramatically.

Sitting back on the sofa, I straightened out my skirt again, trying to get back what little dignity I had left. "I barely know him, it would be strange for me to be thinking of marrying him," I also wasn't even sure if he liked me yet, maybe he just wanted to be friends.

Alex seemed to sense the doubt radiating from me and her face turned stern. "Listen, lady, you better not be thinking that you aren't good enough to him because I promise you that he's blessed to get a date with you!"

It was true, I definitely didn't feel good enough for Andres. Throughout my childhood, I had been told that I wasn't good enough. I was never talented enough or attractive enough. My self-confidence has always been low, but I didn't hate myself. It was more that I thought other people wouldn't accept me because of my weight.

So it was only natural to think most men wouldn't turn a blind eye to my extra weight.

"My god Lena you are so stubborn!"

It was clear that Alex was frustrated with me now. She was easily irritated and had anger management problems, but overall always had good intentions. "You know, there are some men that come to the bakery from something other than cookies and cakes!"

"Sausage rolls?" I asked, confused.

Alex rolled her eyes angrily. "No! For eye-candy! People love you and you're gorgeous!"

Eye-candy? Surely not me. I was often prided on my skills as a baker but other than that I doubt I was acknowledged very much. Noticing my disbelief Alex sighed, her aggravation slowly diminishing and fading away until she was calm again.

I could tell she had more to say but had decided to keep it to herself. "We should head to the bakery," She said, before getting up and walking towards the door. I trailed slowly behind her, trying to switch off my emotions and get ready for a day at work.

Before walking through the door Alex turned to me again, clearly wanting to get something off of her chest. "You are beautiful, you just need to realise it," she said before marching outside in the direction of the bakery.

I was still for a moment, trying to take in her words. Did people really think I was beautiful? For so many years I had been told that I was ugly and unattractive, it didn't seem possible for people to describe me as beautiful.

Shaking my head, I pushed the thought to the back of my mind. I didn't have time to ponder on such things and without letting another thought invade my mind I chased after Alex.

Maybe I did want to be beautiful, but I wouldn't prioritise that over my work or any other important aspects of my life.

I focused on other things as Alex and I walked to the bakery and before I knew it we were there. Alex's built-up frustration had caused her to speed walk the whole way leaving me a heavy breathing, tomato faced dead weight once we had arrived. When Alex noticed my state, she began laughing at me.