I'll Always Love You

Emelio

That voice, soft, sweet, but still full of hurt. The last thing I've ever wanted to do again was hurt Veronica. Over the years, my own selfishness got the best of me and the way I've treated her hasn't exactly been fair. I've known since we were teenagers that she's loved me in ways I didn't know was possible, and that scared me. There hasn't been a time that I didn't wonder if she was my mate, but the connection was never made. I didn't want to string her along and break her heart in case one day I'd find my mate before she did. Honestly, there's no one I'd rather share this life with than her.

"Are you sure this is what you want to do, Emilio?" Raphael says, standing in the doorway of my bedroom. The decision to leave council, right before a big holiday was irresponsible. And I did so because I was hurt by her actions, admittedly it was reckless.

"Yes. I'll meet her for dinner in an hour. I want to do this the proper way."

"Alright. Don't make me lose my trust in you again, Emilio. Not only as a part of the leadership for this pack but as your friend and V's uncle."

"Good, as temporary Beta, I accept your decision. I'll let Veronica know."

The anger I felt was eating at me, I completely disregarded my duty over a jealous fit. Not only that but I broke a promise to Veronica I had made a long time ago. A promise I'd always intended to keep and have for all these years. I never thought her being with anyone else would affect me this way, and I had to get my emotions under control.

I paced my room, trying to come up with the right words to explain my outburst. There's just nothing I could do or say to make her understand how sorry I am, I know it. Because there is no excuse for anyone to act that way. I've always been someone who wanted honesty with their peers, but I've not been truthful with her about my feelings.

Knock-Knock

"Who is it?"

"It's Déla." Of course it was, I had avoided him like a plague the last few days. I knew a conversation with him would either turn into a showdown or an awkward conversation about Veronica's love life.

"Come in."

"Hey, how are... Things?"

"For what it's worth, they're alright. I've spoken with Raph and made my final decision."

"Good. I know what you're doing but I want to know if you're sure it's the right one?"

"It is, and no matter who gets hurt in the end, I know it's for the best."

"I'm glad you're being honest with me Milo." He looked at me curiously and I had tried my best to hide what I was feeling, but I knew he got in and could feel it too.

"Déla, don't."

"Does she know?"

"Please, don't. Not right now."

"You keep this from her any longer, one of you is going to get hurt more than you realize."

"You think I don't already know that? If I tell her now, she's going to think I'm lying anyway."

"I know what you and my sister have is special, something that no Alpha and Beta have ever had."

"I can't give her what she wants and needs, I can't allow her to be hurt by me any more. I have to meet her for dinner so if you'll excuse me."

"Emilio, you need to tell her before it's too late."

I disregarded his last statement, I had no intention of going that far. I hated that he knew how to open people's minds. A wolf with the ability of an empath drives me absolutely crazy sometimes. This dinner however, was killing my nerves it was physically painful. Having to face the one person I care so deeply about after hurting her, made me nervous. Veronica's forgiveness was the only thing I cared about right now and I was determined to win it back however I could.