Torn Apart

Your eyes followed along the rain droplets as they dripped down the window panel, cleaning away at any impurities that were there beforehand. A soft sigh then escaped your lips and you sat there with a dull expression on your face.

"I want to go outside..." You muttered under your breath. Your father had overhead your silent request, and he watched you carefully out of the corner of his eye. He then grabbed his cane from the side of the armchair and forced himself into a standing position. You felt the sudden shift in your father's movements and looked behind you as he held his hand out to you.

"Come along, now. It's time for a change." He said. You silently observed the fake smile that always littered his face and took his hand. He then pulled you up and together, you walked towards a wooden door on the opposite side of the room. Your father leaned forwards and pushed open the door, revealing an entirely new yet sickeningly familiar world to you.

On the left side of the room, a line of buttoned shirts, dress pants, and suits were lined along the wall, hung up with protective plastic over them. On the other side of the room, a line of dresses of multiple styles were hung out on display. Below those dresses were multiple shoes of various colours. At the back of the room, a tall mirror was installed into the wall, giving you a full view of your body.

You eyed this room with dull eyes as you were nudged forwards by your father. Your mind was blank, and you felt empty inside as your father walked over to the feminine side of the room, scrolling through the multiple dresses. The pitter patter from the rain engulfed your senses, completely distracting you from your father.

"Y/n, come over here." You were knocked out of your thoughts, and obeyed your father's words. You approached him steadily and eyed the sun dress he held out for you. Did he want you to dress up for him AGAIN? "Well? Are you going to put it on?" He urged and shoved the pale blue dress into your arms. You took the dress from him reluctantly and gave him an annoyed look.

"Papa, why do you make me wear such nice clothes if you're not going to let me go outside?" You questioned him. Your father frowned at this, and turned his back to you.

"You know very well that you cannot. You will get wet from the rain." He warned. You stuck your lower lip out into a pout and slowly slid the dress over your head.

"It's been raining for two weeks." You mumbled and straightened out the dress. Your father's eye twitched and he looked back at you over his shoulder. You smiled down at the dress and twirled on the spot. "Well? Do I look pretty?" You asked him in a sing sang voice, and smiled up at him.

A frown appeared on his face, and he turned his body to the side and made a beeline for the other side of the room. Your plastic smile immediately dropped from your face and you watched him carefully.

"You look nothing like you're mother." He muttered under his breath and pulled out a simple button up long sleeved shirt and a pair of dress pants. He then walked over to you and threw the clothes into your arms. "Go on, put them on." You merely nodded and pulled the dress over your head. You then pulled your arms through the sleeves of the white button up shirt and pulled on the black dress pants. Your father watched you carefully as you did this, and he frowned with distress. You noticed this look, and cocked your head to the side.

"Father?" A look of anguish appeared on your father's face and he shook his head.

"No, you look nothing like me. Tell me, just who do you take after?" He gritted out and turned his body away from you. You stared at him nonchantly and looked down at your clothes with a vacant expression. You then turned your head towards the single window where the rain fell hard against it. Just who were you exactly...?