My One Desire

You swung your legs back and fourth in boredom as Zane packed his things for work. You watched him shove three water bottles into his bag and an old lunchbox.

"Are you going out somewhere?" You asked. Zane nodded and hoisted his backpack onto his back.

"Yeah, I'm heading off to work." He said. You cocked your head to the side curiously at him.

"What's work?" Zane hummed in thought and turned his gaze up towards the ceiling.

"Well, work is a place where you earn money." He explained. Your eyes widened.

"What's money?" Zane mentally face-palmed. Did he have to teach you everything? He scratched the side of his cheek and tapped his foot on the floor as he struggled to think of an explanation.

"Uh, money is a currency we use. We use it to buy things. Basically, money is what our world runs on." He summarised. Your eyes widened and you smiled.

"Woah, that sounds so cool! I wanna go too!" You exclaimed. Zane laughed at this.

"Sure, if you want." You grinned at him and shot up into the air.

"Yeah! But let's wait for Cora and Astro to get here. They can come too!" You exclaimed. Zane raised an eyebrow at you and shook his head.

"Those two aren't coming today." Your eyes widened and you gasped.

"What!? Why not!?"

"Because they have school. They couldn't come even if they wanted to. So it'll be just you and me today." He stated. You pouted at him and slumped your shoulders.

"Aw..." Zane laughed and nudged you in the side.

"Come on, Y/n. It'll be fun! You spent a day as a girl now it's time you spent a day as a man! Let's go!" He exclaimed and dragged you behind him. You smiled at him and cheered.

"Yeah!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zane gritted his teeth as he hoisted two wooden beams onto his shoulders and carried them over to the rest of the pile where you stood. You smiled at Zane and ran over to the other piles of wood. You then stacked them on top of each other and carried the large pile over to where Zane was. The workers around you gaped at you as you carried the wood with almost little effort.

Zane watched you with an impressed smile as you dropped the wood beside him and straightened. You then turned towards him and grinned.

"That was almost too easy. Say, you mentioned earlier that Astro and Cora go to the same school." You stated. Zane nodded and wiped the sweat off his forehead.

"Yeah, they're even in the same class." He mentioned. Your eyes widened.

"Really? But isn't Cora older than him?" Zane chuckled.

"Yeah, but she had to be held back by a year because she missed a whole lot of school." He said. You furrowed your brows in concern.

"So she's not that smart..." You trailed off. Zane snickered and rested his arm on your shoulder.

"Don't go telling her that. You'll end up getting a wrench to the head." He warned. You shivered at the thought of another concussion and gave him a nervous chuckle.

"Heh heh heh... Is there anything else you need me to do?" You asked. Zane hummed in thought.

"Hmm, let me ask the boss." You nodded and watched as he ran over to a man wearing a bright yellow construction hat. You then looked up at the bright hot sun. You enjoyed working with Zane, but...