Chapter 63

Only a small group of diligent Viscordians remained, determined to help Liam in his desperation to find Beth. Most of the others knew she wouldn't be found and went back to doing their own things, or retired for the night.

It was very late. Liam felt as if he would fall down with each step. His voice had given out long ago. Viscordians apparently had stronger vocals than humans, because the few voices of the group that stayed with him pierced the night air as strong as ever.

Liam eventually stumbled and fell to the ground in exhaustion. Hopelessness flooded him and he let the tears come. He lay on the dark forest floor, his body shaking with silent sobs as the name of his beloved continued to be called out.

He knew he shouldn't let these emotions overtake him, but the fear of never seeing Beth again shuddered through his body. Suddenly everything started hitting him. The loss of earth and his family. Being on a new planet, and so many other stresses. He felt as if his brain were attacking him.

Liam lay there in emotional agony until all voices dwindled away. Sleep never came, and they stayed out longer than he'd realized because it began to grow lighter.

Somehow, the prospect of a new day caused his hopes to rise. It also filled him with a new kind of dread. How many nights would pass before Beth was found?

He wearily stood up and looked around. His surroundings were unfamiliar. He was lost.

"Great." He sighed. "Now I'm lost too."

Something shuffled behind him. He jerked his head around and saw Kelbar leisurely walking toward him.

"I am very sorry we were not able to locate Beth," Kelbar said.

Liam could tell that his alien friend had been up all night as well. He looked tired and distraught. Liam's heart panged. He was glad to have such a good friend.

"Thank you for helping Kelbar." Laim said. "It means a lot to me."

Kelbar put his hand down onto Liam's shoulder. "She will be found." He reassured.

Emotions crept into Liam's throat. "I hope so." He whispered.

__________

Not wanting to possibly destroy the entire universe, Beth slowly crept into the forest until she felt she was a safe distance away from the village. Then she proceeded to sit for hours scrunching up her face in concentration trying to will herself back to her own time. Disappointedly, all her efforts only resulted in a pounding headache.

"This won't work." She huffed to herself. "I'll only wear myself out."

Her stomach growled and she became aware of the dryness of her mouth.

"I need food and water." She yawned," and sleep." She added.

The sky was growing dark. A new fear jolted her heart. If this is the past...then...The Slayer is alive. The hair rose on her neck and goosebumps traveled down her arms. She peered over her shoulder. She was vulnerable. Alone. Unprotected.

She needed to find refuge for the night. The only place she could think of was the village. But she couldn't go there, could she?

Going back to the village was much too risky a plan. Beth decided to take one step at a time. Step one, find some food. She stood up and began walking, keeping her eyes and ears peeled for food and any sign of The Slayer.

She eventually found a nice grove of heart-lime trees. They were also conveniently growing closely clumped together. Food and shelter. The slayer could no way fit through the spaces between the trees.

Beth found what she thought the safest place to take refuge was and settled down to enjoy her food. She had gathered an armful of heart-limes. As she bit into the first one, she was glad of their juiciness, because she was very thirsty. They were perfect, both nourishing and hydrating. She'd find water in the morning.

__________

Beth awoke to something poking at her face.

"Liam, stop." She murmured.

"What?" A voice said.

Beth bolted upright, suddenly remembering where and when she was.

A young Viscordian boy met her gaze. He had jumped backward at Beth's sudden movement.

"What are you?" He asked boldly, his curiosity giving him courage.

Beth's heart lurched when she realized that this boy was slightly familiar, not just because he was Viscordian.

Beth took action. She shot to her feet and began to run. To her dismay, the boy followed. Despite his youth, his long legs carried him well. He quickly caught up and was running beside her.

Realizing that this boy was curious, young, and determined, she slowed down. Running was pointless.

She stood panting from the shock of running so soon after waking up.

"Please don't be afraid of me." The boy said.

Beth didn't answer.

"Do you speak?" He asked slowly.

She looked into his eyes. So young and innocent. Free from the memories of destruction and loss.

He smiled. "I know you can understand me."

She looked away.

He took a step toward her, and she stepped back.

"I won't hurt you." He said holding out his hands.

Beth suddenly realized that she could still understand the alien language. So all of her abilities weren't gone. So maybe she could get back, she just needed to find out how.

"My name is Kelbar." The boy continued.

Beth's heart plummeted even further. The universe was doomed. She closed her eyes, waiting for an explosion or something.

"Do you have a name?"

There was no escaping. She couldn't outrun him, and he certainly wouldn't leave her alone. She decided to play dumb.

"I heard you speak. I know you can talk." He said.

Beth remained silent.

"Are you afraid of me?"

She stared blankly up at him. For a boy, he was still several inches taller than her.

He looked puzzled. "I guess you can't understand me after all."

She took a few more steps back to possibly show him that she wanted to be left alone.

"Don't leave." He said. "You're not safe out here."

She stepped back again. Then turned her back and began walking away. Maybe if she didn't run he wouldn't feel compelled to follow her.

But he did follow. Then he did something unexpected. He jogged up in front of her and scooped her up.

He was stronger than her. Struggling would be useless.

"This is for your own good." He said. "I don't want you to get hurt out here."