Sophie exchanged a look with Meredith. Meredith smiled at her knowingly yet Sophie was once again clueless. 

"You see, I would have prepared a sign yet I figured you aren't the sign type of girl."

Sophie still had no idea what he was talking about. "Um ok?"

Nick smirked at her as he flipped his imaginary coat tails and dramatically sank to one knee. "Sophie Barret, I know that we've only known each other for a week, give or take, but I feel we have an undeniable connection." 

Sophie laughed uncomfortably. She knew he couldn't be proposing marriage, but it sure felt like it. As Nick grabbed her hands gently, Sophie couldn't help but notice the way that everyone was staring at him. At her. Another drum echoed in her head. "Nick what are you doing?" She whispered. 

"Would you do me the honor of letting me accompany you to the dance tonight?" 

Sophie was speechless. She never imagined that she would be asked by a... human to her first dance. But... she liked Nick. He was funny and cute and liked her back. It could be fun. "I would love to go with you Nick."  

He laughed as he stood up and placed his hand on her hips as he spun her around in the air. 

Sophie hit his hands. "Put me down Nick, or I'll take it back! I'll take it back, I swear!" 

Nick obeyed, backing away with his hands in the air. "Ok, ok! I'll pick you up at seven?" 

Sophie started to nod but remembered Andrew. "Actually can I just meet you here? My dad doesn't want me to go on dates or anything." 

Nick pretended to think about for a second before nodding. "You drive a hard bargain, Barret, but deal." He backed away with that stupid smile still on his face, doing finger guns at her. If anyone else were doing it, it would have looked dorky. But everything Nick did  managed to look cool. 

Meredith turned to her with a smile and let out the smallest squeal. "Nick asked you! You know, Trizzy liked him for a long time and I think she still might, so you might be in hot water with her." 

Sophie gulped. She had just gotten here and now she was going to make enemies? She lasted all of five days. "Is she really going to hate me?" 

"Oh no, she'll just be really condescending and throw backhanded compliments at you every chance she gets." Meredith brushed her hands and looked around the gym. The construction group was already finished and were on their phones at a table, but Nick was no where in sight. "So do you want to go shopping?  There's some stores down the street." 

Sophie really didn't want to, but at the same time she wanted to look good for the dance. She didn't want to show up in an Old Navy dress and look like a sack of potatoes next to all the other girls and Nick would think that they were prettier. "I don't know, Meredith. Do you think if I did, then it would just be to impress a boy?" Sophie blushed. "Does that make me shallow?"

Meredith placed her hands on her shoulders as she steered Sophie out of the door. "Sophie, it's not fair for people to always expect girls to dress to impress others. But it's also ok to dress to impress a boy if you want to. It's about choice." 

Sophie thought for a moment. Did she want to dress up? Yes... yes she did. "Ok, lead the way!" 

***

Sophie could not find a dress. They were all too revealing or boxy or poofy. Meredith had found the red heels she wanted, and was being incredibly patient with her. However, it was already three in the afternoon, and Sophie could tell Meredith was itching to get started on her makeup and hair so there was enough time for pictures.