Twenty Six

Chapter Twenty Six:

A phone rang loudly, causing Theodora to jump. Malcolm laughed, "It's you're own phone."

She rolled her eyes slipping it from her pocket, clicking answer and placing it against her ear.

"Hello—"

"Detective, it's Carl Mitchell. There's some things you should know."

Her brows knitted together, "Oh, really? We are just headed back to the university to speak with you."

"Yeah, well under circumstances I couldn't discuss in front of Elaine."

"Circumstances?"

"The truth."

Theodora paused, "Where are you, Dr Mitchell?"

"The research building. Ninth floor but I..." There was a long sip, then silence.

"Dr Mitchell? Hey, are you okay? Dr Mitchell—"

"I-I drank it." Another pause, then what sounded like a whimper. "I've been dosed. It's over."

"What? Dr Mitchell—" the line went dead.

She stared at her phone, immediately dialing Dani's number. When the women answered, she wasted no time. "Somethings happening at the research building. Dr Mitchell is involved and I think he's in danger."

"We're almost there."

Theodora hung up, turning to Malcolm. "Drive faster."

"I can't or I'll be speeding."

"Malcolm!"

"Fine." He huffed, stepping on the gas. It appeared they arrived just after both Dani and JT because they were already at the building entrance with their guns out.

"Behind me." JT snapped, and they all fell in line. He swung the door open, and they shuffled into the stairwell. "Security says someone triggered the roof door alarm."

When the group filed into the roof, panicked muffling filled their ears. Behind a corner lay Dr Mitchell with his hands and feet duck taped together. Next to him sat an array of tools, none of them seemed safe.

Theodora rushed up to him, "He's still here!"

Malcolm appeared on the other side, grabbing a knife and began sawing away at the tape by the man's hands and legs. Theodora ripped the strip from his mouth, "You're safe. It's okay."

The man looked around widely, mumbling a string of words that made absolutely no sense. "He's on LSD. He said he'd been dosed before the call went dead." She told Malcolm, "He's trapped in his own head."

"Did you see? Did you see it!" Dr Mitchell hollered, "Do you see how high! I will fight— I will fight, I have to fight. Please, oh please—"

"You're high on LSD." Malcolm began, "Large enough doses can mimic a psychotic break—"

"Who is doing this? No, no, no."

"Mal, I don't think he's interested in your knowledge of LSD." Theodora whispered.

"The universe is doing this! The universe wants... and I've got to fight for it. I've got to fight for it!"

Dr Mitchell turned around and grabbed a sharp took from the ground, grabbing ahold of Malcolm and pressing it close to his neck.

"Shit." Theodora exclaimed, eyes wide.

"Don't shoot!"

She turned to see Dani, pointing her gun at the Doctor.