She wanted to send Jackson away but my father wouldn't allow it since he had bonded with his son. When I came along I was always aware of my mother's dislike and became resentful when my father would spend so much time with Jackson. Jackson was always nice to me and polite to my mother but that just made her hate him more. Her hatred eventually became mine."

Jordan ran his fingers through his hair, gripping hard, as old memories and old hurts broke through. Ashamed, he remembered all the times he and his mother had bullied and wronged his half brother. Laura sat quietly, waiting for him to continue. After a minute, Jordan continued, shame and sadness evident in his tone, "Jackson had just finished with college and I had just finished with high school so my father wanted to have a duel graduation party for us. He hid away from my mother's bitterness for most of it and my mother refused to have anything to do with the celebration.

I was acting like a selfish child and resented having to share a party. I refused to do much more than drink and bitch to my friends about my half brother ruining my life. As the evening grew later and most everyone was drunk, I overheard Jackson tell his friends that he found his mate and that she was sleeping off the alcohol effects upstairs."

Jordan's face crumpled, tears flowed, and he moaned in agony. Hating to see him in such distress, Laura hugged him and rubbed his back soothingly.

"It's all my fault!" he cried.

"What happened?" Laura asked gently knowing that he had to get this off his chest.

"That night I went upstairs to Jackson's room and saw a girl wrapped up in his blankets. I got into the bed next to her and rubbed my scent all over her while she slept, dead to the world. I then made it seem like I had sex with her. I even pulled dress up to her chest just above the blankets covering her. I laid on the bed with my shirt off and waited.

He came up a few minutes later and for the first time ever, I saw him angry. It was terrifying. Through all the insults and pain my mother and I caused, I've never seen him angry but in that moment I was scared."

Jordan remembered it clearly,

His roar was so loud it woke the girl and she jumped up frightened. Jackson rushed forward his fist lashing out against Jordan's body. Every time Jordan started to fade from consciousness and another punch would knock him back to awareness.

He wasn't sure how long Jackson beat on him but suddenly he stopped. Jordan looked up and saw that Jackson's eyes were no longer on him but on the petite girl wearing a coral lace dress. Her chocolate eyes were full of so many emotions, fear, joy, and love.

 Her chocolate eyes were full of so many emotions, fear, joy, and love

^ Jackson's Mate ^

"Mate." she whispered. Jackson stands slowly letting go of his half brother's beaten body as he walked towards her.

"NO!" Jackson suddenly roared making them both flinch, he grabs the poor innocent girl by the neck, "You're a filthy whore and I reject you."

The girl's eyes flooded with tears. Jackson shoved her away and she stumbles backwards over a chair, tripping, she falls out of the third story window. Her scream cut abruptly off by a sickening crack.

Jackson jumps out of the window after her breaking his leg on the pavement below. He crawled to his mate's broken lifeless body and held her close while howling his agony to the moon. He constantly sobbed begging her to come back. Not to leave him alone.

Jordan sobs in Laura's arms, "It's all my fault and instead of making things right, I hid like a coward letting him take the blame. I even allowed my mother to convince me that I was the victim. I just wanted the respect and strength that Jackson had. I was so blinded by the fact that my father was so closely bonded to him that I refused to believe anything but my mother's poison."

Jordan's shoulders shook uncontrollably, "When Carla arrived I didn't want to even look directly at her because I was sure I would see her father. I didn't want to remember, so I ignored her even when I could have raised her rank, and prevented her from being bullied."

"What are you going to do now?" Laura asked.

Jordan swallowed the lump in his throat, he sucked in as much air into his lungs as the tightness in his chest would allow.

"I can't fix the wrong that I've done but I'm going to do everything possible to make sure my niece is taken care of." sighing he continued, "And then I'm going to have to take a trip."