Rising Tension

^Barkface

(Waterlily's Chapter)

"So." Barkface said thoughtfully. "You had a vision from StarClan?" Stormpaw nodded. "I want to believe you, but how do you know it's from StarClan and it's not just an everyday dream?"

"I...I ju...just...ha.......have...a feel.....ing..." Stormpaw struggled with her words, and was startled and a little pleased with herself that she had managed to say an entire sentence. she wondered if the dream really had come from StarClan, and that was why she had been able to talk about it.

"Hmmm. I'll keep it in mind." Barkface said skeptically. Stormpaw hoped he believed her, but she was just a mute runt, why would he? Outside they heard the familiar call that meant Tallstar had called a meeting. They all gathered to hear what their leader had to say.

"We found something out at the last gathering." Tallstar announced. "It turns out that Tigerstar is trying to merge the four clans into one clan. He proposes we call it TigerClan. Of course, we refused, as did ThunderClan, but surprisingly RiverClan also agreed to this merging of clans. TigerStar is giving us one last chance to join him, or he plans to destroy our clan. I must meet him at Fourtrees for us to talk this over." Tallstar then chose several warriors and apprentices to go with him at Fourtrees, and the ones that stayed behind were given several jobs. He chose Asterfur to guard the apprentices den, to Stormpaw's alarm. She seemed annoyed at this as well as she walked over after the meeting.

"We can guard ourselves. We know how to fight!" Snowpaw snapped at her, but her fear was obvious by her voice.

"But you need extra help." Asterfur said with a small growl. "You are not full warriors yet, especially you. You're barely more than a kit." She shoved Snowpaw back into the den with the other apprentices. She wheeled to glare at Stormpaw, who was cowering in one of the corners. "Get up. " she hissed at her. Stormpaw nodded. "You need to learn to speak, Mute." She growled. Stormpaw again nodded. "No, say 'yes, Asterfur,' when I give you an order. " she growled, and Stormpaw blinked in surprise. She knew she would never be able to say that too often, she had barely managed to speak before.

".....ye......yes......As...As..As..Ast....Aster.....Asterfu....fu...fur......" she tried.

"Congratulations, Stormpaw." Snowpaw said smugly from the other side of the den.

"You. Shut up." Asterfur hissed.

"Why should I? You're not my mentor." She sneered.

"Because I'm a warrior, and you're an apprentice. You need to learn some respect!" Asterfur hissed, turning to give the white apprentice a glare. "You need to stop thinking you're in charge, you're not! You're barely more than a kit!" She repeated.

"I don't even understand why we're refusing to become a part of TigerClan." She said. "I think it was a wonderful idea!"

"See, that's an example of how much you don't understand. " Asterfur hissed, although she seemed shocked by the small cat's words. "The four clans have existed in the forest for generations, they were created by StarClan." She continued.

"If you believe in things like StarClan." Snowpaw said slyly. The look in her eyes said that she knew something most of the cats in the den did not. Asterfur gave her a glare.

"Are you saying you don't?" Asterfur snapped back with a growl.

"Oh, of course I do."

"Are you suggesting I don't?" Asterfur hissed.

"Brilliant observation, BloodClan cat."

"What did you just call me?" Asterfur yowled.

BloodClan? Stormpaw wondered. What's BloodClan? Asterfur growled again as Snowpaw repeated the unknown word.

"Where did you hear of those good-for-nothing cats?" she hissed.

"I overheard a conversation." Snowpaw shrugged with a grin. Asterfur scowled at her.

"Well, it doesn't matter. I'm not with them anymore, you idiot. I believe in StarClan, and the Warrior Code."

There's a Clan that doesn't believe in StarClan or the Warrior Code? Stormpaw was surprised, considering both of those things heavily influenced clan life. A clan like that would have no order. How would they get by? Asterfur growled again at the snow-white apprentice.

"How do we know that? A cat that leaves one clan can't be very loyal to the one it goes to afterwards." Snowpaw pointed out smugly.

"You stupid kit! Of course I'm loyal to this clan!" she growled with a small swipe at Snowpaw, but her claws were sheathed, and she was not using her full force. "If not, I probably would have strangled you by now."

"Saying things like that, why should we believe you are loyal to the clan?" Snowpaw shot back with a smirk. Asterfur growled and went towards the entrance of the den to look outside. Her tail twitched angrily, and her violet eyes were like flames. Stormpaw was just glad she was not the one that her mentor's fury was towards. She curled up and closed her eyes, hoping that by the time she woke up, the argument would be over.