prologue.

00.

FADING

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Alex's little feet struggled to keep up with her fast pace, so much so that she would often trip in the tall snow before jumping back up soon after and running off again. She had no idea where she was going, or why she was even running in the first place. But being in the trees gave her chills, perhaps the trees were talking?

Surely not, that would be nonsense. Right?

Nonetheless, she didn't stop. Not for a while at least, not until her boots were full of snow and the hat was knocked from her red hair filled with curls and braids. She whimpered and fell again. Alex looked around but only noticed trees and even more trees, but through their bare branches, she saw a light. A soft glow of yellow, a warm welcome from the white that littered the land.

She got up one last time, this time walking. She only stopped when the lamp post was in front of her. The black contrasted amongst the snow boldly, not as boldly as her ginger locks did though. Her small gloved hand reached out, wiping the snow from the lamp post for no reason.

She wanted to get home, she wanted to be back in her bed and under the covers of her bed again. Alexandra loved to hear the stories and fables that her uncle would read her before bed every night of the summer, it was a sore sight from the boarding school she was placed in.

This was a summer that she was bound to never forget.

Alex turned, the faint jingle of bells filled the air. Fear seemed to erupt inside of her chest like fireworks, her small body tried to hide behind the tree to the right of her before the ice sleigh stopped at the lamp post.

Her left hand covered her mouth to slow down her breathing and to stop the cloud of icy breathe that lingered in the air. She would usually force her eyes close in moments of stress and fear, imagining she was safe in the arms of her parents in front of the embers if the fireplace. But she couldn't, she knew that there was no hope. She knew that it was impossible that her parents be in the same room as her. Instead, she kept them open. Her eyes burning an evil glare into the ice in front of her, she even thought that it might even melt.

The sleigh stopped to a subtle halt with the harsh slap of the whip in the air, the girl flinched. Footprints could be heard on the icy snow behind her, near the tree she hid behind.

"I can see you, little one," a soft voice called behind her, making her hands tense inside her gloves, "You can come out, I won't hurt you."

Alex pondered her next actions for several seconds before turning, facing the tall, white-haired woman in front of her.

"I-I just want to go home-" Alexandra held back a sob, fighting the tears filling her eyes. She had only been in this strange land for a few minutes and she already wanted to leave.

The face of the woman in front of her changed, the soft smile was replaced with an evil grin. Her eyes no longer held sympathy, now they filled with anger. "You are home," she grinned, her glass wand pushing against the chest of the child.

Yet nothing happened.

Lexi felt a tear escape her eye as she looked down, the sadistic queen watched in amazement as the child defied her magic. Suddenly, the red of Alex's hair seemed to fade until it was as white as the snow that surrounded her and her green eyes dimmed to a grey, a scream echoed through the empty forest of Narnia.

Creatures around the land looked up in fright, quickly hiding in fear of the evil witch that plagued their mystical land with ice and dread, the witch had only set another curse on the land. One that could only be broken by a heart filled with love.