sixteen.

16

JUST HOLD ME

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Cair Paravel was a beautiful castle, Alex was reminded of that every time she set eyes on the grand structure. Even through her damp lashes, she could make out each perfect stroke of a paintbrush or curve of the vines that climbed up the walls neatly from the growing garden.

The girl made her way past the dining hall where she could hear the four siblings laughing loudly between them as they ate their lavish meal. It was obvious to each Pevensie that something in the room was missing; her aura. It was the humour that she added, the way she would care but more importantly how enthusiastic she was. It was almost as if something had been missing for a while. Or at least changing.

Peter noticed how the red satin cloak rushed past the large door to the dining room but never stopped, instead Alex continued up the staircase and to her room where she locked the door promptly. The golden-haired boy dismissed himself politely before following behind her minutes later.

Peter froze outside the locked door, his tight fist knocking lightly a few times as he heard a scuffle coming to a stop on the other side, "Alex, can I come in?"

Alex must have dropped something because there was a loud bang followed by hushed expletives that she tried to hide, even through the door Peter heard and cracked a toothy grin.

"I'll be right out," she coughed and looked in the mirror, brushing down her wild hair and looking down to her bruised knuckles from her breakdown at the Stone Table; but it would be easy to blame on a rough day training the Narnian army with General Oreius. She even noticed how the few strands of white in her hair was easily visible under the light in her room and was even more thankful that it was dark outside.

Regardless, the Crimson Knight left her bedroom to see Peter Pevensie looking down at her lovingly, "Hi," he breathed out with blushed cheeks.

"Hi back," she grinned before taking his hand in hers and leading him down the golden staircase excitedly before they made it into the garden that was dimly lit with candles that floated amongst rose petals upon the steady flow of water in the fountain.

"I feel like I haven't seen you enough recently," Peter remarked as she pulled them to a wooden bench between the rose bushes so they could sit and talk.

"I guess that comes with being the King of Narnia, your head is always in politics and literally ruling over a kingdom. How is it?"

"Well," he began to draw soothing patterns over her bruised knuckles ever so softly once he noticed her leg jumping up and down on the stone, "It's hard work but I imagine that it would be much harder if I was doing it alone. How is training? By the looks of your knuckles, it's harder than sitting on a throne all day."

Alex just smiled and leaned her head onto his shoulder as she grew more and more exhausted, "Do you ever think that we can go back to London?"

"Why would you want that?"

The girl just shrugged as she leaned into his open arm, "I wasn't able to leave Narnia whilst under the Witch's control, but I don't know if I could do it now. I could finally go home and see my uncle. Don't you ever think about your parents?"

"Of course I do, Alex. But we can't just go back now, not after we are crowned the Kings and Queens of Narnia. What will they do without us? What would happen if we just packed up and left them to fend for themselves?"

Alex just sighed and nodded her head against his shoulder as she pushed her hair behind her. "You're right, it was a stupid thought," she wrapped both arms against his neck, "Just... hold me?"