Chapter 7

The Marauders Private Detective Agency was the latest endeavor of the Marauders after James's retirement. Their office which was a set up at Black Manor was a large, cozy room with neutral colors, panel walls and marble flooring. It was furnished moderately with a large desk that could fit four chairs, a large bookshelf and a siting area with a sofa set, coffee table and rug.

The four Marauders were at their desk. James spun around his chair, alternating between sipping his hot chocolate and rumpling his hair. Sirius lounged on his chair, tilting in back on it's legs as he tapped his fingers on the desk near his cup of coffee. Remus eyed the advertisement for their new agency before sipping his tea while Peter gulped his coffee.

"You think we'd a get a case soon?" asked Remus.

"It might take some time," James shrugged as there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," Sirius bellowed.

It was the Black's butler. "Sir, Minister Riddle is here. He says he has a case that needs investigation. Shall I send him in?"

The Marauders looked at each other with narrowed eyes and raised eyebrows.

"Alright, send him in," said Sirius.

Minister Riddle was now seated in front of the Marauders with a cup of coffee in front of him. James, Sirius and Remus looked confused while Peter was biting his lips and fidgeting with their agency's advertisement.

"I've heard you gentlemen had solved a case in your school during your sixth year. It was quiet excellent detective work. That's why I trust you gentlemen would be right men for the investigating this case," said Tom as he put the newspaper from Harry's Birthday on the desk in front of them.

"Pardon me if I'm mistaken Minister, but you want us to investigate the robbery at Belleview and St. Mungo's?" asked Sirius, astonished.

"Right you are, Mr. Black", Tom smiled.

"But, Minister, isn't that already being investigated by the Ministry?" asked Remus.

Tom smile faltered for a faint second before it was plastered on his face again. His arms were out with his palms forward as he adjusted his cuffs.

"Right you are, Mr. Lupin. But the Aurors have a lot of cases on their hands as it is. I felt a private agency could focus on it more. It's also a matter of personal interest that I'd rather it be done by a private agency", Tom explained. "Because as the Minister of Magic, I take it my personal duty to see that a case of public interest is investigated in the most effective manner," he quickly added at their raised eyebrows.

The four best friends exchanged looks and communicated silently before turning to back to Riddle.

"Alright, Minister. We'll investigate this case," said James as Tom leaned forward.

"Thank you Mr. Potter. Thank you all. I really appreciate it," said Tom gratefully. "How long would it take?" he asked, his eyes shining with eagerness that if they weren't mistaken almost looked like there was a hint of greed it it.

"We can't say. But we'll try to solve it as quickly as we can," said James.

"Right. Right. Thank you once again. I should be on my way now." Tom quickly sipped his coffee before getting up from his chair. "Do keep me updated."

The Marauders and the Minister exchanged handshakes before he left.

"Was I the only one who noticed Riddle acting odd?" asked James.

Remus scratched his chin. "I did too. He seemed more anxious about a case that's just another case for the Ministry to solve."

"I bet a matter of personal interest was more personal than just personally seeing to public interest," said Sirius.