2. The accidental thief

There were no words to describe the emotions rushing through Miguel's body. He wasn't even sure what emotion he was feeling. Fear? Anger? Betrayal? Hopelessness? Even though he himself didn't know how to express it, Karen was incredible vocal about hers.

"What do you mean pressed the wrong buttons? How could you even press the wrong buttons?" She shouted.

"I had it upside down!" Carlos said in his defence. "It was an accident."

"I'm going to die with you two because of an accident?" She sat down in one of the seats while huffing. "Great, just fabulous."

"It wouldn't have happened if you just left us alone." Carlos spit out and Miguel hurriedly placed himself between the two, not wanting to spend his last hours listening to a pointless sibling fight.

"Let's get along now, right?" He said nervously. "Can't we try turning the pod around again or..." Before he could finish the sentence he was interrupted by a low grumbling noise.

"Was that your stomach?" Carlos asked him and Miguel blushed.

"No, well, yes, I mean..." He stumbled on his words. "I didn't eat any breakfast." His stomach grumbled again. "Do we have anything to eat?"

"These escape pods are usually equipped with emergency ransoms, so there should be some somewhere." Carlos began to look through the cupboards.

"You know that is only meant for emergencies, right?" Karen said. "We're not allowed to eat them, just as we're not supposed to be in this pod!"

"That food is made for emergencies!" Miguel said, raising his voice. The hungrier he became the less patience he had for her stuck-upness. "How is this not an emergency? Why is it wrong to eat a tube of pears when we're stranded in space?" Miguel was close to shouting and Karen didn't reply. Maybe she had realized how pointless rules were in this situation.

"Or we can eat something better than toothpaste-food as our last meal." said Carlos, breaking the impending silence between the other two. He held up what looked like a bag of crisps, but the letters on it spelled MELON.

"What is that?" Miguel asked and inched closer to him.

"Melon crisps." He answered and opened the bag. "There is watermelon, honey melon, and some other I don't know..." He held up two crisps, one pink and one yellow. "You want any?"

"That's disgusting!" said Karen. "Where did you even get them? You weren't carrying anything before."

"First of all, these are delicious and you have horrible taste buds to disagree," he ate the pink crisp. "Second, the bag was on the floor behind the seats, with the bottles." He ate the other crisp. "But if you don't want them I eat them all."

"I can try one." Miguel said. He got a pink one from Carlos. To be completely honest he wasn't that big a fan of watermelon, or melon in general, but his stomach had spoken and anything edible would enter his mouth. He chewed down on it. It truly had that watery watermelon taste, but the texture was like hard and cracking crisps and those two did not mix well.

"What do you think?" Carlos asked him excitedly. "Pretty good, huh?"

"It sure tastes like watermelon." Miguel forced a smile.

"Here, take more!" Carlos happily handed him the bag and he forced himself to eat a few more. This was not how he had imagined his dying moments to be like, eating weird melon crisps while lost in space. Well, at least he didn't have to worry about that embarrassing video anymore.