Chapter 22: An Imminent Return

Harleen arrived home with a solid plan in mind for her return to her life with Joker. She contacted her parents and friends to let them know that she would now be taking another, even longer vacation since she wasn't away with Joker very long at the beginning of February. She spent the rest of the evening and the next day cleaning her already meticulously organized apartment while she gathered what little clothing she had left as most of it was still at Joker's mansion. She took a look around her apartment and was satisfied knowing that the next time she would return would likely be to move out completely.

Hey Frosty, she texted, I found the tracker app on my phone. I know it was u.

Oops, u got me, he responded.

Well, I disabled it, LOL. I'm ready to come back but I want to surprise J. How r u? Can u drive yet?

I was just cleared to drive, u want me to pick u up?

Yes. Do u know where Gotham Bakery is in White Plains? I'll meet u there. I've ordered something special for J.

OK, I can be there in 30, Frost replied.

Harleen opted to leave her car behind for the moment and instead called for a taxi. She gave the driver directions to the bakery where she had ordered some cakes and a few other things, including cookies with dark chocolate chips—his favorite. She looked out over the Hudson as the taxi drove her across the long bridge leading her out of her quaint little town. It was a trip she took every single day when she worked at Arkham and she smiled thinking that it could be one of her last trips across the bridge.

It was mid-April and spring was in bloom. After her discussion with Joker the day before, she had realized that his old self, Jack, had "died" on his birthday, April 15, 2005. But he was also reborn on that same day as the Joker. She wondered if he had ever had a proper birthday celebration in the past twelve years. Then, doing the math, she realized that he would be turning forty this year on his birthday, which was just a few days away when he visited her at the pond. She smiled to herself hoping that he would appreciate the thought and not be upset by the reminder.

"What this?" Frost asked as she opened the rear passenger door to place two enormous cakes and several plates of cookies inside along with her purse and a few bags.

"This..." she said closing the door and jumping into the SUV, "is for J's surprise birthday party tomorrow." She leaned in and gave Frost a huge hug and a loud kiss on his cheek.

Frost smiled and returned the hug and kiss. "It's good to see you, Harley."

"You too, Frosty."

"So, his birthday is tomorrow? How do you know that?"

"Oh, I'm just that good," she responded as Frost chuckled. "He's also going to be forty and I know that for a fact!"

"Oh, this is rich!" Frost howled as his chuckle turned into body-shaking laughter. "I'll never let him live this down!"

Harleen and Frost talked and laughed the whole way to the mansion as they planned the party for the next day.

"Now, doc," Frost said as he pulled into the driveway of the mansion, "you're not gonna split again, are you?"

Harleen smiled and stared at the darkened sky adorned with faint streaks of pink from the setting sun behind her.

"No, I'm here for good," she responded. "I just had to think about some things."

"Listen, I heard what happened at Edwards' house. That took a lot of courage to do what you did. I know it must have been hard for you to pick up that gun. I know that's not you, doc... I know you're not a killer. And I know that you're not crazy," he said.