Chapter 3: An Unspoken Lust

Nearly two months passed with Dr. Quinzel and the Joker learning more about each other during their scheduled therapy sessions. Harleen believed that in order to generate trust within a patient, she would have to reveal a little bit about herself in the process. Meanwhile, she learned virtually nothing about the enigma that was the Joker, and she confessed to herself that the mystery only added to his appeal.

Joker had been pulled out of solitary and placed into the residential unit during the week of their first session. He had a fresh new haircut, with a little length on the top. The barber did not want to comply initially as he planned to buzz it like most other prisoners. But Harleen flashed her gorgeous smile and asked him for this favor, to which he capitulated. She didn't use her beauty very often, but knew that she could get what she wanted when she wanted it. He was offered a shave but didn't need one as apparently he had a reduced his ability to grow hair on his face. His teeth were checked—"No cavities," the dentist said, unsurprised as most of his teeth were encased in metal anyway. Harleen also had a doctor check him for infection or poor healing of any wounds as the asylum was notorious for poor hygiene.

At least now he is in a regular cell with more amenities available to him, she thought to herself, happy with the fact that he was out of solitary.

Joker also seemed a bit more comfortable interacting with Harleen. He would avoid her questions and mainly demand that she answer his, but she felt that they were really beginning to build trust even though he would insist that she get out of his head. She revealed to him her path to obtain her doctorate, explaining that she chose psychology because she had a deep passion for helping others. She sensed that he didn't buy it, however; he was very astute and was becoming more so as the drugs began to taper, she determined. She swore that she would never reveal to him her true motivation for the field, which involved watching her father fall into a deep mental illness from which he never recovered. Harleen had experienced this type of affliction herself, but worked hard to keep her head above water. She disclosed that she was a gymnast throughout high school and college and that she enjoyed running and painting. On the other hand, Harleen knew that Joker liked money, silver and gold, tattoos, fast cars, and killing people when he didn't get his way. He told her some stories about his work, his team, and how the police force was on his payroll. "A temporary inconvenience," he told her when she presented him with the fact that he was captured and placed in Arkham. She worked with him to provide him methods of anger management and dealing with situations in which he had no control, though she was never certain that he was actually internalizing any of the information.

She also sensed that Joker was loosening up around her, maybe even caring for her in his own way. She found him studying her hands or her hair, as if he had wanted to reach out and caress her. He never could because his hands were always strapped in his jacket. During the seventh or eighth week, however, Harleen asked the guards if they would be able to deliver him to the interview room without the jacket, just to see how it went.

"How are you feeling today, Mr. Joker?" Harleen asked, just as she asked at the start of every session like a broken record.

Joker was seated at the table in his regular spot, leaning back in his chair with his hands on top of his head. He was looking at the ceiling when he responded, "Not too bad, doctor."

Harleen sat down, hoping that he would have looked at her as she moved across the room. She found herself wearing sexier clothing with each session as she wanted the Joker's attention. On this day, she wore blue wedge heels, a dark blue skirt, and a patterned blouse with the buttons opened to her cleavage. Of course, she wore her white lab coat to convey a sense of professionalism.

"You're looking hot today, Harley," Joker stated, never breaking eye contact with the ceiling.

"Please, Mr. Joker. You must call me Dr. Quinzel. Or Harleen if you absolutely must..."