Chapter 5: A Heartbreaking Discovery

Start from the beginning

"I love the idea," her mom smiled. "I know you're upstate now, but there are plenty of universities and colleges near you that might be looking for someone just like you!" She gave her daughter a tight squeeze around her shoulders. "I'm so proud of you, you know that?" she told Harleen.

They spent the rest of the evening playing games and talking. It was past midnight when she finally left, almost opting to spend the night. But she was potentially on-call, she told her parents, and she wanted to be close to Arkham just in case. They exchanged their goodbyes and lots of hugs, and Harleen got in her car and headed back north.

*****

Patient remains stable, I'll text u tomorrow with an update, one of the nurses had texted Harleen while she was at her parents' house. She felt guilty that they had to work Christmas Day, but she was thankful for the update and for their dedication.

Harleen ended up sleeping in several hours past her normal wake time and it was mid-morning by the time she finally rolled out of bed. She decided go for a run and return to eat a light brunch. She took a long, hot shower and thought about how she was actually happy where she lived. She didn't want to live on Long Island where her parents and brother had their homes. She had a really beautiful apartment in a gorgeous area with views of the river and a jog trail nearby. She could walk to the center of town if she wanted to. She was close to several parks and green spaces where she could just get out an enjoy nature—something that she didn't see much of in Brooklyn.

She had made plans with her girlfriend Vanessa to meet for lunch at a café in her small town. She told Vanessa everything when it came to guys and Vanessa always countered, telling her that she was so picky—that her standards were unbelievably high.

"He should be well-educated is all I'm saying," she defended herself to Vanessa with a smile on her face.

"Hahaha, right," Vanessa chortled, "And have a hot bod, a big package, a refined palate, a respect for the arts, and money out the wazoo!"

"Exactly!" Harleen exclaimed with both girls filling the café with their laughter. They were quite a fashionable pair with Harleen wearing dark blue jeans, high-heeled boots, a pretty light gray knit sweater—a gift from her mother—and a green scarf. Not having enough time to straighten it, she left her long hair down, which formed beautiful waves in its natural state. There was no doubt that Harleen was a beautiful woman and could have her choice of virtually any man.

"So, is there anyone new?" Vanessa queried. She couldn't believe that her best friend wasn't taken by now. She had it all—brains and body.

"No, not yet. I'm still taking a big break since Dex," she replied, referring to her last boyfriend. "That was... a disaster. I just need time to figure out things for myself."

"Okay, hun, but that was, what, almost two years ago," Vanessa reminded her. "Don't wait too long or you'll lose out on a lot of fun!"

"I know, I know! I'll get to it!" Harleen promised. She didn't dare speak a word about her growing affection for Joker. She would become an immediate pariah and she was sure her friends and family would insist that she be placed in an asylum. "I've actually been thinking about applying for some teaching jobs at a college or university. I think it would be a good break from the lunacy I experience every day at Arkham."

"I like that idea. Maybe you'll have some hot guys in your classes. You can wear your short skirts and flip your hair. You would be Miss Sexy Professor!" Vanessa erupted into giggles.

"Hey, I like that idea! I'm going to make it happen!" Harleen responded, thinking about the actual possibility of teaching. She might sit on a desk in front of the room with her long legs crossed and her blonde hair down... just like following in her mom's footsteps.