"But it's Hallowe'en," pouted Theseus, now recovered from his laughing fit. Newt's eyes widened further.

"Merlin's beard! Already? I had no idea!"

Jacob shrugged.

"Can't blame ya, pal," he said drily before vaguely gesturing in Theseus' direction. "Theseus thought It'd be fun to scare you out of your wits. I told him not to, but..." He sighed dramatically and gestured a second time.

"Is Tina here?" Newt blurted before processing what he was saying. Once he did so, he immediately recoiled into a chair, praying that they'd just ignore the question.

Theseus looked as if his birthday had arrived early.

"Not yet. Why? Were you expecting her?" he mocked innocently.

"Would you... prefer her?" Jacob joined in, wiggling his eyebrows.

Newt began to speak, realising his mistake, but Theseus swiftly cut him off, dropping into a seat next to him. Jacob decidedly parked himself on Newt's other side.

"It's alright, Newton. We know that you're completely head over heels for her." Theo patted Newt sincerely on the shoulder.

"That your heart beats only for her," crooned Jacob. The older Scamander gave a delighted gasp.

"Tina, I love you, Tina I do!" he warbled, draping an arm around Newt. Jacob joined in, while Newt hid his head in his hands.

"When we're apart, my heart beats only for you!" they chorused together, watching the magizoologist try and hide his embarrassed smile.

"Okay, alright!" Newt laughed finally, shoving them away. Then, to the muggle perched next to him, "Where did you learn that song?"

Jacob gave a toothy grin.

"It was on the radio this morning." He hesitated, then went on. "Tina's coming in soon. Wanted to find more books about prophecies and seers and stuff."

"Ah."

An only mildly uncomfortable silence elapsed between the three before Theseus spoke.

"Crutches went well, by the looks of it." He wordlessly gave a quick gesture toward Newt's crutches, which he had propped against the wall.

"Ah, yes. It went wonderfully."

"Not planning any more accidents or mistakes that'll give me a heart attack, eh?" Theseus cocked an eyebrow at his younger brother, who kept his gaze trained on the linoleum flooring.

"Let's hope not. Though if the worst-case scenario were to happen," Newt began. He allowed his mind to wander as far as such an idea- after all, it was possible. "... We'd be best off if we embraced our mistakes and moved on."

"Oh." Theseus looked baffled for a minute, then a smug grin spread across his face. "Okay then."

He leaned forward and wrapped his arms around Newt in a hug.

"Really?," Newt mumbled, his voice muffled against Theo's shoulder.

"I know, I know. I suck, don't I? Hi Tina."

Newt instinctively yanked himself out of Theseus' embrace, eyes settling on Tina as she wandered through the door, carrying another tottering stack of books.

Jacob leapt to his feet, moving to take some of the books from Tina as she began to stumble with the weight.

"Woah, woah there- hold on." He took half of the pile and deposited them on the empty bedsheets.