Old friends, new announcements

Newt woke up that day with a fresh mindset.

He promised himself he wouldn't think about the diary. It was in the past.

He helped himself to some toast (untouched by Pickett, this time), and eagerly awaited Tina's daily arrival.

She dropped by around midday, with Queenie, this time. Newt smiled and tried not to think about the diary, but Queenie could probably tell anyway. Her discreet, reassuring smile at him confirmed so.

"Hey Newt," greeted Tina perkily, dropping onto the corner of the bed as per usual. Queenie sank into a cushioned chair.

"Morning, Tina," he answered equally perkily.

Queenie curiously read his mind. "Ooh! You've got news!" she chirruped. Tina elbowed her, but Newt did indeed have news, and it was uplifting enough that he didn't mind Queenie's legilimency.

"Yes I do." He paused, trying to create some tension. Tina rolled her eyes.

"Well, are you going to sit there like the master of poetry or tell us?"

"Okay," he grinned. "I'm on crutches tomorrow."

"What?" Tina didn't give him a chance to respond before she said something else. "That's fantastic!" A radiant smile broke across her face, and Newt felt it echo into his expression as well.

"Wow! No wonder you're so upbeat today," added Queenie. Newt offered her a meek smile, which was happily returned.

He decided to bite the bullet. "Um, Tina... you left your notebook here yesterday..." he mumbled nervously, trying not to meet her eyes.

"Ah."

Tina leaned forward and carefully picked up the leather-bound notebook from the wooden desk.

"Thank you."

Newt smiled weakly. Queenie bit her lip, staring at the floor. Eventually she looked up again.

"So... enjoying your last day in here?"

Newt beamed. "Yes. Very much so."

"Wait... last day?" chimed in Tina, her gaze switching between Newt and Queenie in confusion.

"Oh, right. Yeah, they're moving him out of here..." Queenie paused, drinking the information out of Newt's mind. "... this afternoon. They're giving the crutches a go first thing tomorrow."

Newt rolled his eyes. "Thank you for the input, Queenie."

Both the Goldstein sisters grinned down at him. Queenie dutifully began reading his thoughts, his questions, even though he'd informed her repeatedly that her legilimency was no longer required in the area as he could speak.

"Hmm... let's see..."

Tina and Newt watched the legilimens sifting through his thoughts, amused expression painted across their faces.

"... Yes, your creatures are fine, yes, the Nifflers have been up to no good- I caught the big one in my jewellery box a few days ago, yes, everyone at home is fine, no, Theseus is not reconsidering his decision to move the mattress..." she trailed off at Newt's irritated look.

"What? It is for your own good...!"

Queenie only stopped reading his mind when someone walked through the green door. Both sisters leapt to their feet.

"Nick!" all three of them cried in unison, then turned to each other, back to Nick, then burst out laughing at his astonished expression.

He sauntered over, pulling off his gloves.