Chapter Two

i. Ghosts of the Past

Varian could feel the terror wash over him anew, as if it hadn't been four long years since it had happened. As if he was witnessing the horror of seeing his father being encased in that amber all over again.

Every night, the same images filled his head: the rocks and his father. The amber, reaching its cold fingers to wrap tightly around Quirin in a death grip.

He always woke up in a cold sweat, but he had been unable to do much about that fact. Not for the past four years. Now, though... Now he was allowed to go out into a courtyard for fresh air if he felt up to it. He could walk through the palace halls, though that would have no real use except to make him feel more trapped, like a caged lion.

Hell, he could probably even sneak out and head back to his home, check on his father and the stupid amber, grab a few random supplies, and come back before anyone even realized that he had been gone.

Actually, that sounded like a fine idea to him.

At the very least, it would help him to face the ghosts of his past.

He sat up slowly, glancing around the room. Ruddiger was sleeping peacefully at the foot of the small bed that Varian had been granted. Aside from that, the young alchemist was completely alone.

But his mind would not leave the notion he had come across earlier. He wanted to clear his mind. He wanted freedom from the phantoms that constantly haunted him.

Varian knew that they would never leave him be. Not unless he went and settled the score, or got some closure of sorts.

He stood up, quickly digging through the pile of used clothes that he had been given earlier, trying to find something that he would be comfortable wearing on his trek back home.

Ruddiger opened his eyes and gave a tired chitter.

Varian chuckled softly. "You stay here, buddy. I need you to cover for me if anyone discovers that I'm gone."

Ruddiger chittered again, this time in protest.

"I'm just going home for a little bit," Varian explained, beginning to change, "I'll be back before anyone realizes that I've left, though."

He finished dressing and gave the loyal raccoon a friendly scratch behind the ears before turning to leave the room. As soon as he stepped into the hall, though, he heard a familiar voice.

"Varian?"

He turned on his heel to face Cassandra. "I... Cass."

She frowned. "And just where do you think you were going?"

He scrambled to think. "Umm... The kitchen. I'm curious to see if they have anything I can use for a late-night snack."

Cassandra's eyes narrowed, and she crossed her arms. "Uh-huh. You do realize that the kitchen is that way, right?"

She motioned behind her with her head, and Varian mentally slapped himself. Think smarter next time, dumbass.

"Right..."

He lifted a foot, preparing to walk in that direction, but Cass grabbed him by the shirt collar before he could go terribly far, though.

"Not so fast," she said firmly, "I know you're up to something else, and I'm not letting you get away with it. Not this time."

"I'm being completely serious here, Cassie..."

She drew him closer to her, unable to lift him by the shirt collar anymore. He had grown. Still, though, the sense of deja vu that Varian got was unreal.