27: Of Dragons and Deranged Librarians-- HOPE

My talk with King Cassius had me on edge all day and seemed to have set the whole world off its axis. The fear and foreboding glances from the lords and ladies in the castle hovered over my head like a heavy cloud full of rain and thunder. My yellow dress and bare feet scuffed down the elaborate hallways packed with nauseating splendor. A seldom fairy with legs and arms connected by chains stood aside running feather dusters over suits of armor, statues, and other godly trinkets. They all gave me weary looks before quickly returning to work.

With an armed escort my interest was piqued when we passed through a hallway filled with large candles covered with waxy faces. A man in a red robe stood near one speaking into the flame. The wax mouth moved in response to his questions. Daarith once told me they have a way to communicate to people across distances, much like a telephone. While the science or magic behind it baffled me, I was intrigued to use one despite not knowing whom I would contact.

After traversing a few more long affluent hallways we arrived at my new room. A large black wooden door with a lock the size of a bowling ball opened. I was shoved inside. Divide and Hijinx were waiting to greet me, an unusual smile was exchanged between the two as the door behind me clicked shut.

"Welcome, Hope," meowed Hijinx, flicking his fluffy orange tail over the bed sheets.

"Good to see you out of hiding, Hijinx," I said scratching the cat on the top of his head. He purred in delight.

"How's your leg?" asked Divide lifting my dress. "Oh, the bleeding has worsened. You should stay off it for the rest of the day. I'll fix you up and let the guards know of your condition."

"It doesn't hurt," I said. "Your medicine is working great."

"Of course it is," responded Divide leading me to the daybed. "But medicine can only help it so far. Rest is the best remedy for you now."

Hijinx jumped up beside me, a pillow in its jaws.

"Thank you," I said placing it comfortably behind my head. "Y'all are too kind." Divide went to work removing the bandages and collecting hot water into a basin. Her hands delicately dipped in and out of the water scrubbing my bleeding wound until it was clean and the bleeding had stopped.

When Divide had finished her handiwork, my leg was propped up and she assured me that I should take it easy. I wanted to see Owen and Zeno and make sure they were well taken care of and see to that the guards had not abused them in any way. Hijinx confirmed that they were escorted to a communal room filled with all the amenities and luxuries of a royal guest.

There was a knock at the door. A young girl entered carrying a tray of pan-seared quail and steamed vegetables. My mouth watered at the sight. No sooner had I eaten the whole meal did Divide leave. Hijinx curled on the pillow beside me and together we both fell into a lumbering sleep.

As I rested, boorish images and scenes filled my dreams. I recalled the visions I had scryed in the desert of Owen wrything on a stone table and the dark figure with the boney fingers hunched over him. I saw my sister being interrogated by men and women in suits with purple sunglasses and a briefcase flashing the letters EO. A scene of home engulfed in flames rolled through my mind followed by my abuelita lying on a hospital bed. The final scene was me walking through a forest charred to ash just before the roaring flames of a dragon consumed my sight.

My body jerked awake. Sweat dripped off my brow and my breath struggled to gain composure. I looked around. For a moment I had forgotten I was in Blackstone's grand castle and a glorified prisoner to the king. I heard scurrying in the room. Hiding behind the bed were two spider monkeys in vests with shackles around their wrists and ankles. In their hands they had trays filled with more food.