Everyone has a fren

Warnings: mentions suicide.

Words 900

(*☻-☻*)

You gasped awake, your eyes already filled with tears.

"H- hey." Tyler whisper yelled tiredly as he grazed your arm with his hand before rubbing his eyes.

Your breathing quickened and you grabbed Tyler's face, taking in his every detail. Tyler watched you weirdly, but allowed you to do so.

"Are you okay?" You asked him frantically.

"I should be asking you that. Bad dream?" He replied, and you nodded your head.

"Y- you killed yourself." You let out a small sob before pulling yourself together, reassuring yourself it was just a dream.

Tyler fell silent as he stared at his covered up legs from the sheets.

"Tyler? Are you going to say something?" You ask softly, trying not to sound rude, but you needed comfort.

"I- I won't. You know this." He stuttered awkwardly. He felt uneasy on this subject. He's thought about it a lot.

"I know, I'm sorry for putting you in an awkward position I'm just scared." You say laying your head down on Tyler's chest.

"It's okay, I want you to know that I haven't thought that way in years. Ever since we met, remember when I told you?" Tyler said in a hush tone to match the silence in the house.

"Yeah I remember." You nodded into his shirt. "I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep for a while though." He then began to run his fingers up and down your spine.

"Do you need anything?" He asked, and you shook your head.

"I'm going to go get water though. You stay put." You mumbled and got up to rush downstairs for water.

You returned and placed your newly filled cup of cold water on your nightstand and climbed on your side.

It already looked like Tyler was asleep, so you didn't bother to cuddle up next to him. It was okay, you could just look at your phone for a bit before falling asleep.

A few minutes passed, and it almost gave you heart attack when Tyler started to speak.

"Don't you think life is crazy?" Tyler mumbled from his side of the bed, his eyes closed and his hands on his stomach clasped together.

You turn your head to answer by he quickly continues.

"It's like, imagine someone finding a friend. They decide they like each others company and decide to hang out more often. Then one decides to ask the other one on a date, and they soon decide that they want to spend the rest of their lives together. They get married and have a child.

That child feels alone. He's longing for a friend, and someone to fill the void of loneliness and emptiness lingering deep in their heart.

The child soon grows up, and finds someone. A friend who loves them, and enjoys them. And the cycle continues." Tyler paused and thought for a moment as he fumbled his thumbs. "But what if there's someone out there who doesn't have a friend. Who can't seem to find a way to close the infinite cycle of pain, and loneliness? They can't find someone to love them just as much as they need; just as much as they are willing to love someone else? And before they know it, they're searching for other options than finding a friend. Their minds start telling them that the only option is to leave. To end it. That no one would care." He paused again before turning to you, his eyes now open.

"I used to believe I was that someone." A small sad smile plastered his face. "But then I found you." He stared at you for a moment, and you were debating on speaking up or not.

"I used to believe the only way out was death. That the only way to fill the emptiness in my chest was to just not feel anything at all anymore. And then I saw your face, and everything changed.

I became motivated to know you, and I became obsessed with the constant butterflies in my stomach when you'd look at me. And when I got to know you, I became unhealthily attached to you. You began to help me cope, and in return I promised myself that I would protect you from anyone, and anything. Even if it meant staying alive. Because I knew that if I did proceed and succeed with my death, you would be devastated." He paused for a moment.

He took a deep breath. "My life goal used to always be: Stay Alive. —I don't care about that anymore. —My new life goal is to: protect you whatever it takes, and if that means staying alive to do so, I will do it."

That's when Tyler turned his head back into his position and closed his eyes again. A small winner's smile on his face, as if he was satisfied with what he said.

"Thank you for being my friend." He said, and took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

You were mostly speechless. You didn't know how to reply to it. So you squirmed your arm down and inched your hand into Tyler's as you laid your head on his shoulder.

Tyler lightly squeezed your hand, almost as if he was okay with your silence. It seemed like a good silence, if that's even possible.

"I love you." You whispered, and Tyler slightly hummed, a smirk crossing his face.

(*☻-☻*)

I wrote this at 1:30 AM. I have deep thoughts when I try to sleep so I decided to write it down :)