Chapter 20

"Rory, what the fuck?!" Sam growled in annoyance while I immediately jumped out of River's arms and came to stand beside her. "I swear you never use your fucking brain!"

"What?!" I growled while she looked anxiously between River and I. "Are for real right now?!"

"Start running, you idiot!" She yelled at me, panicking as the two of us watched River's canines extend and then recede back into his mouth. "He's going to flip shit."

She was right, so I took off. I sprinted out of the school gymnasium and down the hallway. I could hear him right behind me, but neither of us were on speaking terms at the moment, which meant that there was no possible way I could allow myself to get caught.

I made a sharp left and pressed myself against the wall just to watch him sprint past me. I immediately tore myself away from my lack of a hiding spot and ran quickly down the left corridor before taking another left and going out the doors. I was in the parking lot. A few guys stood in a circle smoking some cigarettes and laughing loudly at whatever video was displayed on one of their phones.

"You good, Rory?" Sam's cousin Tyler looked at me concerned.

Before I was even given the chance to answer him, the doors further down burst open, making the group of them jump.

"What the fuck did you do?!" Tyler hissed at me while he started running towards his truck, grabbing my arm to take me with him.

"I slapped him. He punched me in the chest, Ty!" I panted when he revved the engine of his truck and practically tore out of the parking lot.

"What the fuck, kid?!" He panted. "You wanna go home?"

"Yeah. Make sure my dad is there. I can't fucking link him anymore." I sighed and pulled the water out of the cup holder beside me.

He quickly pulled it out of my hands. I glared at him.

"Uh... that's not water. It's vodka." He chuckled before handing me a different water bottle.

"Oh. Thanks." I chugged the bottle and we arrived at my house.

My father was stood outside at the door talking to River, who was no longer looking like he was barely controlling himself. I almost didn't get out of the car, but Tyler clicked my belt buckle, making me jump. I opened the door and stood beside the truck until it drove away. I didn't move.

"Aurora, go pack your things." My father said to me, his face completely void of any sort of empathy for me.

"Pardon me?" What was he trying to say?

"You're going with River. The two of you are mates and you're more than old enough to go with him." He explained. "It'll be for the best, sweetheart. Now, go. River will help you."

"No." I stared at him. "I'm not going. You can't make go!"

"I can, young lady, and I will." He wasn't happy with me. "You've embarrassed not only River and his pack, but mine as well. Now, go!"

"Dad-" Why was he taking his side?!

"I said, now!" He shouted suddenly and I ran inside.

How could he just do this to me?! I was his daughter! I didn't belong with River, on his land or in his pack. I belonged home with my family and with my own pack. This wasn't right! This wasn't the way things were supposed to be going.

How long had he been planning this?! I had no choice. If I didn't pack I knew they'd make me leave with nothing. It would be stupid not to at least comply with that.

"He heard about everything." River came up behind me and walked into my room, not bothering to ask or see if it was fine. "I told him. It wasn't my idea."

"Fuck you!" I spat, not meeting his eyes just yet. "Get out!"

"Hurry up." He ignored what I'd said and began throwing things into one of the suitcases that was on my bed. "I'm not going to wait that long. We'll leave with whatever you decide to pack."

I glared at him. I would not cry. I would not scream. I would not look in his eyes and I would not respect him. He didn't deserve any of it. He deserved nothing more than to be made a mockery.

I was happy he felt embarrassed and that I'd tarnished his reputation as an alpha. He didn't deserve it. He wasn't doing what he was supposed to.

I threw my clothes into three suitcases and grabbed anything I felt I might want and shoved it into another one. I pulled the blankets off of my bed and wrapped them around my pillow. I didn't need to waste space with them. He left with the full suitcases in hand and closed the door, locking it behind himself. He knew I'd take off the second he left me unattended.

He care back quickly and grabbed the rest of my belongings. My room was bare now. I stared at it for a moment before he gave me a small push towards the door.

"Don't fucking touch me." I hissed at him as I walked through it and down the stairs.

His truck was waiting outside. I got in and sat as close to the door as I possibly could. I still didn't know what to think. This wasn't fair. River didn't have to leave his family and his home. He didn't have to have his senior homecoming dance ruined. He didn't have be marked and humiliated like I was. His wolf grew when he came of age. He could properly shift. He didn't have to deal with anything that I was dealing with!

The longer I sat in his truck and thought about the unfairness of everything, the more my mark started to burn. It was probably infected because he hadn't fully shifted when he'd bit me. Human bites became infect far more often than animal bites did.

I placed my hand against my hot skin and sighed. My hand was cold and it gave some relief to the burning sensation that was happening. He glanced at me nervously before sighing.

"You're going into heat." He said sullenly. "Your mark isn't infected."

"I'm what?!" He could not be fucking serious right now!