Chapter 13

"Did I just what, babydoll?" He smirked at and I took my arms from around his neck.

I slapped him across the face as hard as I could he dropped me in surprise. How dare he even think he'd get away with that? Everything going wrong right now was his fault and he had the audacity to smack my ass?! I think the fuck not!

He let out a ferocious growl before grabbing my arm. I gasped and looked up at him with wide eyes.

"You hit me first!" I blurted out, trying to let him know it was even now. "It's just fair!"

"Never, do that again." He growled lowly, sighing his fingers into my poor arm.

"Then never do what you did again!" I spat at him, unable to keep my cool any longer.

"Excuse me?" He raised his eyebrows. "Have you ever been in trouble before, Aurora?"

"What?" That was very off topic.

"Have you ever been in trouble before? From your parents?" He repeated the question.

"Obviously. Who hasn't?" Was he being serious? "Let go. You're hurting me!"

"What's the worst thing that happened?" He asked.

"River, you've got be kid-" I didn't even get to finish my sentence.

"Answer me!" He demanded, his voice dead serious.

"I got yelled at and had to sit in my room for two hours because I went to Sam's house without telling my parents." I said quickly.

"You've never been in trouble." He said decidedly. "Watch those hands of yours or you will be."

Did he seriously just threaten me?! He pulled my from the ground and held me how he had before. I didn't want to be held, but I was tired. I let my head fall onto his shoulder and slowly my eyes became heavy. I let them close and soon I fell asleep.

When I woke up, River was humming. The vibrations in his chest tickled my slightly, but I liked it. It made me feel safer. Almost like I was only safe because of him.

"Are you awake now?" He asked, his voice gentle.

"Yes." I mumbled.

"Good. I'm going to put you down." He told me and simply dropped me.

I immediately woke all the way up and shrieked before I came in contact with the ground. He caught me and set me on my feet while laughing at me. It was not funny!

"Shut up, River!" I growled.

"Be nice or I may just have to let the party know how scared you got in the forest." He warned me.

"Shut up!" I growled harsher.

"Or what, babydoll?" He smirked at me.

"Or I'll... I'll... um... just, shut up!" I stammered.

"That's what I thought." He was winning again.

"Shut up." I grunted and crossed my arms over my chest.

"You're so cute when you're mad." He laughed and bopped my nose.

"Yeah, well you're not!" I fired back.

That was the worst possible comeback ever! Who freaking says that?! I mentally growled at myself in irritation. He laughed at me and stepped uncomfortably close.

"What were you so afraid of? The scary rogues?" He held his hands up pretending to make a claw.

That was just insensitive. I said nothing back and turned away from him. I began to walk in what I thought was the right direction. I didn't need to be around him if he was going to be like that. He knew about what happened at the school. I'd told him and he chose to do that. He really was an ass.

"Babydoll, c'mon." He whined. "It was just a joke."

"It's not funny!" I whipped around and glared at him. "I don't get why you're such an asshole, River! I mean, come on! You really had to go there?! Here! You're probably a lowsy alpha and when I was gone all summer, it really was to get away from you! I can't stand you!"

He growled lowly. I'd hit a nerve, hopefully. He glared ferociously at me. It almost made me nervous.

"Rory, come here." He demanded.

"No fucking way! Not after all the shut you've been saying!"

"Come here!" He nearly screamed at me in his alpha voice.

I spun around to run from him and froze in my tracks. It was the rogue from the school. I felt my stomach drop as he looked at me menacingly.

"Shall we finish what we started, bitch?" He walked dangerously close to me, clearly unfazed by River who stood several feet away from me.

"S-Stay away from me!" I stammered, stumbling backwards to get away from him.

"But you're going to be so good! An alphas daughter. Imagine that! You're far more pure than other wolves your age. It's your duty after all." He was slowly walking towards me.m with a very creepy grin plastered across his face.

"No!" I croaked.

My throat was dry. My hands were sweating and I was trembling. I fell to the ground and he reached down to touch me.

"Back away!" Rivers voice echoed so loudly through the forest despite the fact that he'd barked through gritted teeth.

"Oou. An alpha!" The rogue seemed giddy with excitement. "What? Is this little bitch supposed to be your mate?"

"I told you to get away." He growled, now on the verge of shifting.

"Kill me. I dare you! Let her see how ruthless you really are, River Wilde. Show the whiny little bitch how cold you can be!" The rogue egged him on. "C'mon, you stupid mutt! Kill me!"

He'd turned aggressive with a matter of seconds. Why did he want to be killed so badly? What was the point? I looked frantically between River and the rogue. He wouldn't really kill him, would he? I mean, that was just totally an old time barbaric thing our ancestors used to do. He wouldn't actually. He couldn't. He'd lose a piece of himself.

"Leave my presence." River's voice was lethal. "Now."

"Kill me!" The rogue roared and lunges at me.

I didn't have time to even process what was going on. River leapt in front of me. He'd shifted and stood protectively before me. The rogue ran away laughing maniacally and River let out a warning howl after him.

I turned my back to him and let him shift back quickly. I heard him dress and then I felt him come up behind me. He wrapped his arms around rather hesitantly before nuzzling his face into my hair. I was shaking and he held me close, making it easier to stand.

"Are you alright?" He whispered in my ear.

"Fine. Let's go." I murmured.

He spun me around and carried me the same as before. I didn't protest. I closed my eyes and let myself absorb his scent. I loved the way he smelt and the way his arms felt as he carried me. I'd never tell him that, but I loved it all. I fell asleep faster than I would have liked to.