Prologue

Prologue - Mary’s POV

I stood at the edge of the forest. I could still hear the music playing in the ballroom which echoed throughout the whole castle. I had followed the creature out here, the cool air nipping at my exposed arms. I had forgotten to grab a cloak or a lantern, so I stood out here, in the dark, waiting for the creature to show itself. The creature was the size of a horse with big paws, black fur and red eyes.

“Show yourself!” I commanded, although my voice wavered slightly. I saw a rustling in bushes deeper in the forest. I started walking towards the noise, away from the comfort of the castle. I knew this was wrong. I should be back inside, helping the Queen. I was one of the Queen’s ladies in waiting, I helped the Queen with her every need. She would be wondering where I’d wandered off to.

I kept walking deeper into the dark woods. Then I felt it. The pain. I reached to touch my back, the warm blood leaking out of my back poured onto my hands. I screamed.

I tried running back the way I came but it was too dark. The once beautiful music playing from the ball, seemed to taunt me, playing from every side. Suddenly I fell, tripping over my own two feet. The tears were streaming down my face and I kept screaming, hoping someone would hear me. I heard a growl behind me. I turned over, so I was on my back. I tried to push my self away from the thing. It’s red eyes bore into me, staring deep into me, as if it knew me. The creature lifted itself onto its hind legs and jumped down on me.

It brought its claws down on me. Over and over again. Slash after slash, my cries became fainter. Black spots appeared over my eyes, it was hard to breathe. I felt one last slash, on my wrist this time. It growled then backed away from me, cowering back into the safety of its forest, the darkness of the night enveloping it like a blanket.

“Oh Mary!” I heard someone cry out. I knew that voice, it was the Queen. I felt her kneel down next to me and she held me in her arms. It touched me to think she cared more about me than her dress, well I was kind of her best friend but it still felt nice, that my dying moment was with her. I tried to reach up to her, tell her I’d be fine and that she should get back to the ball, but the darkness surrounded me and everything went black.

// Lol so heres the first chapter. I know it’s really bad. Vote and comment if you actually liked!

xx Claire