❸. Strange New Kid

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

You and Dib didn't make it very far before the sun began to set. Unfortunately, neither of you were able to spot the robot dog you saw previously. Truthfully, you gave up long before Dib did, but continued looking with him.

All you wanted was to spend time with your new friend, and if it meant doing things that were not so fun, then so be it.

"We should head back now before it gets dark." Dib sighed as he turned back in the direction of his house.

"Yeah, my parent might be upset if I don't get home soon." You replied.

As it got darker, you were getting visibly nervous. You kept fidgeting around involuntarily. You didn't want to admit it, but you were a teensy bit scared of the dark.

"Hey, (y/n), you okay?" Dib asked, noticing your fidgeting.

"Y-yeah! I'm fine, it's just a little dark n' stuff... nothing to worry about!" You tried to smile.

"Hey, if you're scared, you can hold my hand." He said, already holding out a hand and sharing a genuine smile.

Without much of a thought, you grabbed his hand. He was a little surprised to see how quickly you latched onto him, but he wasn't complaining. Dib led you back to your house, and went home on his own.

That very next day, something strange occurred. Something that would change your life and Dib's.

Sitting at your desk at school, Ms. Bitters announced something about a new kid.

Your jaw dropped when you saw him.

Green skin, no ears, not a single nose.

"This is Zim. He's the new student here. Take your seat and keep your mouth shut." Ms. Bitters hissed.

"Of course, human filth." He said, glaring back at her, then focusing his glare on the rest of the class.

All you could think of him was...

"HE'S AN ALIEN!" Dib shouted, shooting up from his seat. He pulled the words right from your head.

"An alien..." you whispered, eyes sparkling as you gazed at Zim. It was incredible, you had to admit.

Dib looked at you when he heard you. "Oh thank God, you see it too, right (y/n)?"

You turned to him and nodded.

"Y'all are crazy." Some kid shouted from the back.

"Yeah, they're both crazy! They think that totally normal kid is an alien!?" Some random girl said.

"Yes, I am Zim, totally normal kid here." Zim added.

Dib shook his head. "Fine, call me crazy, but (y/n) sees it too! And she's really smart! He's definitely an alien!"

You blushed and hid your face. "I-I guess so..." you muttered.

"Ewww! Dib likes (y/n)!" Another girl screeched.

You were so embarrassed now... you hid your face in your shirt completely.

"Wait- Huh?! Where'd you get that idea?!" Dib shouted back.

Ms. Bitters slammed her fists against her desk. "Silence!"

Everyone sat back down and kept quiet.
You kept your face hidden deep in your shirt for as long as you could.

How could this day get any worse?

You heard Dib's voice call your name when class ended. You brought your head out of your shirt to look at him, a faint blush still visible on your face.

You avoided eye contact. "Y-yeah?"

"Sorry you had to deal with what happened earlier... that was kind of... awkward." He said, clearing his throat.

"A-ah, it's fine..." you reverted back to speaking quietly. So much for that confidence you were growing.

The two of you sat there in silence for a moment, until Dib cleared his throat again.

"Anyways, we'd better head off to lunch." He told you. You both got up and walked out together.

"I'm glad I'm not the only one who knows Zim is an alien! He really is one, right? There's no way anybody looks like he does!" Dib chattered on and on about Zim.

You didn't say much, you were too focused on what he was saying. It wasn't much of a problem for you. He did all the talking, and that worked just fine for your social anxiety.

But on the topic of Zim, you weren't sure if he might have any relations between that robot dog. Sure, it could have just been your imagination, but you were sure you saw it.

"Hey, do you wanna hang out again today?" Dib asked you suddenly, bringing you back to reality.

"Oh, yeah! I had fun last time..." You replied with a smile.

His cheeks warmed up a bit. "R-really? You liked hanging out with me? E-even though we didn't do what we planned?"

It was true, you were kinda disappointed that you couldn't get to watch his show, but you did like hanging out with Dib no matter what you guys were doing.

"Of course! I like you, Dib!" You said suddenly.

He stared at you with surprise. You realized you were being a little too straightforward...

"U-uhm!! I meant, I like being with you!" You tried to cover up your last statement but it just made you more embarrassed. "Or, no! I meant, I just, I..." you stuttered.

Now the both of you were blushing messes. "Yeah, I like being with you too." Dib responded quietly.

You weren't sure if you heard him correctly. "W-what?"

"HUMAN-STINKS!" Zim interrupted as the two of you stood in the hallways.

The both of you turned to look at him.

"Hey, alien, don't interrupt our conversation." Dib hissed, putting a hand on your shoulder as if to show Zim not to mess with you.

It was a small gesture, but enough to make you blush.

"What was your name again? Dip? Bib? Alfredo?" Zim asked, genuinely confused.

"Dib." He responded with his name, rolling his eyes.

"Why are you here?" You decided to ask Zim so suddenly.

They both looked at you.
"Why am I here? To be a normal human boy trying to get an education, of course." Zim replied with an 'obviously' kind of tone.

"But... you're an alien. Your disguise is awful... n-no offense!" You responded.

"Yeah! We can see right through you, Zim." Dib added.

"Fine... if you really think so... I'll just have to get rid of you in any way I can." Zim growled, walking by the both of you and entering the lunch room.

"Get... rid of us?" You asked, concern laced in your tone.

"It's an empty threat, (y/n). He's just trying to scare us off. Well it won't work on us." Dib said with determination.

"We're just going to have to prove to people who he really is." He grabbed you by the shoulders. "Right?"

You looked into his eyes and smiled.
"Right."