The Pandorica Opens pt.2

River returns to the Roman camp and is taken, prisoner.

"So, I return to my command after one week and discover we've been playing host to Cleopatra. Who's in Egypt. And dead."

"Yes. Funny how things work out" River replies, a spaceship buzzes past them.

"The sky is falling and you make jokes. Who are you?"

"When you fight Barbarians, what must they think of you?"

"Oh, riddles now."

"Where do they think you come from?"

"A place more deadly and more powerful and more impatient than their tiny minds can imagine" River uses her gun to disintegrate a wooden stand filled with ornaments.

"Where do I come from? Your world has visitors. You're all Barbarians now" River says.

"What is that? Tell me what?"

"A fool would say the work of the Gods, but you've been a soldier too long to believe there are Gods watching over us. There is, however, a woman and a man. And tonight, they're going to need your help."

"Sir?"

"One moment" the Commander has a whispered conference with a shady Centurion "well, it seems you have a volunteer."

*Time Skip*

"So, what's this got to do with the TARDIS?" Amy asks.

"Nothing, as far as we know" I say.

"But Vincent's painting. The TARDIS was exploding. Is that going to happen?"

"One problem at a time. There's forcefield technology inside this box. If we can enhance the signal, we could extend it all over Stonehenge. Could buy us half an hour" the Doctor says.

"What good is half an hour?" Amy asks.

"There are fruit flies live on Hoppledom Six that live for twenty minutes and they don't even mate for life. There was going to be a point to that. I'll get back to you" I say, Amy takes the ring box from her pocket.

"So, is this the ring you never wear, Alex?"

"I'm sorry?" I ask turning.

"I found this in your pocket" Amy holds the ring box up.

"No. No, no, that's er, a memory. A friend of mine. Someone I lost. Do you mind?" I ask trying not to sound rude.

"It's weird. I feel I don't know, something" Amy says.

"People fall out of the world sometimes, but they always leave traces. Little things we can't quite account for. Faces in photographs, luggage, half-eaten meals, rings. Nothing is ever forgotten, not completely. And if something can be remembered, it can come back" I say.

"So, was she nice, your friend?"

"What makes you think it's a she?" Amy's eyes widen.

"No- I- I-" I chuckle.

"I'm only kidding, but remember that night you flew away with me and the Doctor?"

"Of course, I do."

"And you asked me why we were taking you and we told you there wasn't a reason. We were lying."

"What, so you did have a reason?"

"Your house."

"My house."

"It was too big. Too many empty rooms. Does it ever bother you, Amy, that your life doesn't make any sense?" an energy weapon fires at them. We hide behind the Pandorica.