chapter xv

The next few days all I heard from Jake, Sam, Billy, Hell I was at the point where I was calling Paul, was radio silence. Since the day in the clearing, Bella's been slipping back into her depressed tendencies. I mean I don't completely blame her, Jake has been what's keeping her whole again and now he's gone too. Bella was so worried about him she called everyday, several times a day which really annoyed Billy to the point that he made sure their phones stopped working.  We come home on Thursday after school and as I cook dinner I decide to leave Jake a message:

"Hey Jake. It's Kota. I just wanted to see if you were okay. I need to talk to you about something. Just call me please."

I finish putting the frozen pizza in the oven and go out into the living room to watch the game with Charlie. Bella sits on the edge of the armchair across from where Charlie and I sit doing her homework. She pulls her phone to her ear, "Hey Jake. Just checking to see how you're doing. And to say I'm sorry, about, you know... how I feel and... hope the flu passes fast. Call me." At least I'm not the only one worried about him because this was definitely unlike Jake, or receiving radio silence.

She was to the point she had Charlie call Harry Clearwater in an effort to find something out, all she got was that he had mono. I pull into our usual spot the next morning, Bella climbs out of her truck and looking in the direction of the empty spot where Edward Cullen used to park his Volvo. I leave her to reminisce about her dirtbag ex-boyfriend only to see Eric and Angela cuddling up to each other as they walk to the school. It's gotta be hard on Bella it's around Valentine's Day and there are couples everywhere and it makes me sick, so it must make her miss Edward. I glance over to her as she puts her head down, grabs my hand and hurries us to class. At lunch I call again to see if Jake's okay. I bring the phone to my ear hearing the line ring knowing in my heart it was going to voicemail. BEEEEP :

"Hey Jake. Your dad said you have mono. He won't let me visit but... would you call me?"

Later that night I start to have an anxiety attack, scared that something might have happened to my best friend. I feel as if someone was sitting on my chest, not allowing me to breathe, and my heart begins to race extraordinarily fast. Again, I feel the unnatural surge of heat and anger course through my body and a part of me wants to let it take its course but the rational part of me homes it in, containing the rage. I stare at my phone that's laying on top of my bed contemplating whether I should try to call him again. I do, allowing it to ring until I get his voicemail's screeching BEEEEP:

"Jacob Ephraim Black. I really really need to hear from you. You're my best friend damnit and you're being just like Sam. Abandoning me. I just... need to hear your voice.. I need to know that you're okay."

The next morning I wake up to smell coffee already being made. I check my phone in the vain attempt that Jake actually decided to not be an asshat and answer one of my messages. I go downstairs and into the kitchen to get myself some much needed coffee and see Bella's on the phone, leaving yet another message. Between the two of us I'm sure it's full by now. In the living room, Charlie and Harry are checking their fishing gear. I take a swig of my black coffee and heard on my right, Bella desperately whisper into the phone, "Jacob. Please. Call me." She hangs up, leaning her forehead against the phone.

Charlie enters behind me, "Harry and I will be back by three."

He stops when he sees her, silently asking if she was alright. I shake my head no and he puts a hand on her shoulder, "It's mono, Bells." I leave the room saying my goodbyes to Charlie and Harry as I go back upstairs. Bella texts me not even 15 minutes later saying:

hey i'm leaving. if you need me call but i just needed to get out the house <3 bells

I pace across my bedroom floor, seeing the picture of Sam and me Leah gave me for my birthday and got the urge to call him again. Why, I don't know because he's been avoiding me and hasn't taken a single phone call from me since December. Screw it what do I have to lose. I dialed Sam's number and hit the green call button. As it rings, I twist the wooden ring Jake made me, "Hello?"

I gasp that I finally got a response from him, "Sam? It's Kota. I need to talk to you, it's important."

I hear multiple voices in the background, one vaguely sounding like Jake. Before I could ask if that was him, I hear Sam mumble into the receiver, "I love her so I'm helping her."

Then with a loud clear as day voice I am told, "Sam can't come to the phone right now Princess. Try again later to see if he actually still loves you." Then the line cuts off, they hung up on me. I stormed down the stairs, plopping down onto the sofa and end up taking a nap after listening to the rain against the window for 20 minutes.

SLAM! I wake up to the sound of the front door slamming. I look up from my position to see Bella bursting into the house, out of breath. She runs into the kitchen I follow behind her to see Charlie and Harry Clearwater washing their fishing gear at the table and the kitchen sink. I wipe the sleep out of my eyes groggily asking, "Bella? What's wrong?"

She looks between the three of us still out of breath panting, "They're not giant bears. I saw them. Up in a meadow."

Charlie clatters his pole in the kitchen sink, hissing, "Damn it, I told you not to go into the woods!"

"What did you see, Bella?" Harry and I say together, trying to get Bella to her point.

She looks at Charlie, "Wolves. They're wolves, Dad. Five of them. The size of -of cars. I swear. They went after- something...and I ran."

Charlie grabs up the phone and as he dials he looks to his greying friend at our kitchen table, "Harry, can you get some men from the Rez?"

Harry agrees to gather some men but seems more concerned than ready to hunt these predators as he leaves our home. Whoever Charlie called answered, "Jerry? Put a hunting party together. Tranq guns, large caliber shotguns- there's something dangerous out there."

I see Bella's frantic eyes scan our house as if she's more afraid of someone breaking into the house than these huge wolves. As Charlie hangs up with Jerry he goes to his gun cabinet, "I've gotta go to the station."

Bella screams, "Good! Uh-That's good."

Charlie looks at the both of us, "You okay here? You want to come?" I nod running upstairs to put on some clothes, but I have to be careful to find light enough clothes to work with my super high body heat. Something is wrong with Forks, me, Jake, Bella and I need to find out what it is if it's the last thing I do.