"We get it, old man," I joked. "We've known since we were little."

Being on the spectrum, Dad had never been one to be able to show emotions the way "regular" people knew how to. It didn't mean he loved us any less than a father should though.

"We just had one more thing to do before we go," Franny cut in with a wide smile. Dad raised his eyebrow in suspicion as he noticed that all three of us were actually smiling. "Two more things actually."

"What are they?"

"Well, we might have found your travel plans and know that the first place that you and Mom wanted to visit was Cuba," I answered. "So, we got you a two-way plane ticket, ready for use at any time you want."

"Kids-"

"We're not done," Franny giggled. "We also took Mom's ashes and made it so that she was easier to travel with compared to that urn."

"What does that mean exactly?"

Instead of a verbal answer, Conrad rushed to his room and returned to the island in mere seconds with a decently sized black jewelry box and a plane ticket. He wordlessly handed them over to Dad who took the two items with unhidden suspicion. He smiled at the ticket but set it aside to fumble with the jewelry box.

"Open it!" The three of us encouraged excitedly, causing the old man to jump in surprise. He laughed before he did just that, causing tears to gather in his eyes immediately after.

Dad was speechless as he stared at the necklace which was filled to the brim with a bit of Mom's ashes

Dad was speechless as he stared at the necklace which was filled to the brim with a bit of Mom's ashes. The silver heart pendant was as simple as it was elegant, engraved with the words "Always in my heart," in tiny letters. We gave him time to get his bearings before he delicately took the necklace from the jewelry box and carefully placed it around his neck.

"Do you like it, Dad?" I questioned softly as he gently toyed with the heart between his fingers.

"I love it," he replied just as softly.

"Good, because we got a matching set," Conrad cheered. Dad quickly wiped the stray tears running down his face when he saw my siblings and I pull the necklaces, similar to his own, out from under our shirts. "A pretty penny absolutely worth spending, if I do say so myself."

"Other than a tattoo, what better way to bear Mom's mark?" Franny teased as she referenced my eulogy. We laughed heartily, dispersing of the thick bubble of emotions that had built up once we had presented Dad with his farewell gift.

Since it would be quite some time before the four of us would be in the same room once again, we enjoyed the sudden silence that had enveloped us as we all sat together. Not really needing any words, I'm sure we all thought the same at that moment – this was one of the many memories that we would always hold dearly in our hearts.

***

The flight back to New York felt long and tiring.

I was ready to sleep my life away once the plane landed at the airport. However, as I made it from baggage claim and found my boyfriend waiting for me by my car with a bouquet of flowers, all thoughts of sleep was pushed to the back of my mind. As I rushed into his embrace and he pressed his lips against mine, I melted like a burning candle.

"Welcome back, sweetness," he smiled once we parted.

"I'm happy to be back," I replied with a smile of my own while rubbing our noses together. "Are those beautiful roses for me?"

"Yes, in fact, they are," my boyfriend answered as he handed over the sweet-smelling flowers. "I was hoping they'd butter you up to say yes when I ask you a life-altering question."

"Oh?" I raised a brow after taking in the scent of the roses. "Life-altering? I guess no place is better than the entrance of LaGuardia Airport," I teased.

"No time better than the present, I suppose," he chuckled nervously, making me pause. I stared at him, now realizing that he was actually serious.

"Everything okay, Jonathan?"

"Yeah, everything is fine. I'm just – just gonna come right out and ask you."

"Baby?"

"Winston, will you move in with me – us. Me and my girls. W-we'd like you to live with us."

"Wha- Really? Are you serious right now?"

"Yes. With every fiber of my being."

I almost squealed like a kid in a candy shop, feeling excitement like never before bubble in my chest.

"Yes! Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes!"

"Really?!"

"Why are you so surprised?" I chuckled.

"I don't know," he shrugged. I shook my head in disbelief as he held my hand cheerily and led me over to the passenger's side of the car. He waited until I was comfortably inside and then closed the door for me before hurrying to his side of the vehicle. "A part of me was actually expecting you to say no."

"You and your girls became my home the day we said, 'I love you' to each other. This just makes it that the more official," I told him honestly. A blush rushed to my face since I felt a bit embarrassed by my confession.

"If I had known you thought that way, I would've asked you a lot sooner, sweetness."

"It's okay. It's not like I voiced the thought before now."

"Well, I'm glad that Macy beat some sense into me to ask you as soon as you came back."

"Did she really beat you up?" I questioned with another chuckle as Jonathan started up the car's engine.

"Not really. But you know how siblings are," he grinned. "She basically told me that I was being a little bitch, but in more child-friendly terms since April and Alyssa were present for the discussion."

"And they're okay with it? I mean April and Alyssa specifically."

"They are so excited; you wouldn't even believe me."

"I'm glad I said yes then. I would hate to disappoint them."

"What about me?"

"Oh baby, you should know by now, it's the girls over you any day," I teased, making my boyfriend laugh.

"As a father, you have to know how happy that actually makes me," Jonathan winked in my direction. "I love you."

"I love you more," I replied with a bright smile as he pulled away from the curb. "I'm tired now though, handsome."

"I guess it's time to get you home then."

Home.

The simple yet loaded word made my heart beat straight out of my chest.