It would be a fun night, that's for sure.

Despite the use of contemporary speakers, high-powered lasers and glow-in-the-dark paint, everything managed to stay Victorian-esque. Glimpses of red velvet and golden designs adorned the hallway and the upper rooms, and from the chandelier hung a golden version of the twin theatre masks – one happy to resemble comedy, and one sad to resemble tragedy. Many more masks decorated the rooms, each one more elaborate than the other. It all blended in seamlessly, and my excitement grew.

It felt as if I were in theatre, playing a character of my own invention. I was ready. I was prepared. And it would only be a matter of time before the show started.

I took my time getting ready, and stared at myself in the mirror for a long time. The girl who stared back was a complete stranger compared to the girl who had come into this town just six months ago. The dark golden waves that ran down my back were now a blinding silvery blonde, stick-straight and limp from lack of volume. My eyes were as black as ever, and yet even they looked different. They looked more arrogant. Sinister.

They were the eyes of an experienced predator.

I calmly applied my makeup, spreading more of that red lipstick I loved so much. The picture of Nathan I had found hidden in his book stared back at me, attachment to the crevice of my mirror. I couldn't resist plucking it off and pressing a kiss to his perfect, perfect face.

This would be my last night in Alistair. Our last night.

The plan Eli and I had set was so complex, so very delicate, that I had to take extra precautions with every step. Though most of the pre-planning had been done last week, I still had a variety of things on hand – hair extensions, a big roll of cash, colour spray, and a tiny bottle of chloroform. They were things that might have seemed like random junk to Daddy when he had walked in, but they were as important as anything. I checked and double-checked my suitcase so much that I could knew its contents and where to find them by heart.

Still, that did not stop me from being a little twitchy.

Pulling on my dress was a slow effort. It was a piece from Zuhair Murad's summer collection, and it looked devastating on me in ways that would make both Eli and Nathan burn and ache. Paired with painfully high heels, it was an intricate design of lace, mesh, and sheer. It covered me from shoulder to knee, elegant and refined, yet it showed more skin than any skimpy outfit could. I pulled my feathery mask on, making my way down the stairs.

Daddy would have a heart attack.

Suddenly, my waiting game was over. The clock struck ten, and guest began to pour in, slowly at first, then faster and faster until I couldn't distinguish who was who. All the lights were dimmed, and all the fog machines were on full force.

I greeted as much people as I could by the door, trying to tell apart whom where my friends, and whom were complete strangers. They came dressed exactly as the invitation said, and their masks looked eerily daunting in the darkness. First there was Lacey, our cheer captain, and her boyfriend John. She smiled through her purple mask and wished me happy birthday, and together we mingled until more guests arrived. A group of chattering freshmen entered the doors, then came six girls from my English class, four more from P.E, Jack with his girlfriend, Seb with the whole football team, my cheerleading crew, Becca Johnson and her two sisters, Yuri and Sal along with their cousins, a group of strangers who claimed to have met me before, everyone in the basketball and hockey teams, boys from neighbouring schools, girls from neighbouring schools, and some of Daddy's younger colleagues.

Soon it became madness.

It was a form of madness that only parties of this magnitude could create – there was dancing, so much dancing, Venetian mask after Venetian mask, the deafening bass of the music, heavy fog, alcohol. I even let loose a little and downed three shots, and danced with five boys I'd never met before. I kept a steady eye on the door as I watched more and more masked strangers pile in, dumping their presents on the table and joining the celebration. I had been wished happy birthday so many times I was sick of the phrase.