"Thatta boy, Alfie!" Malcolm laughed, ruffling Alfie's hair.

"Alfie, you never disappoint, do you!" Heidi snatched the bottle from his hand to examine it closer.

Fiona could hear the liquid swaying from inside the bottle. She furrowed her brows for a moment before realization dawned on her.

"Firewhisky?" She asked.

"But of course!" Alfie replied.

"We deserve to cut loose after the O.W.Ls last year!"  Malcolm declared. 

"Speaking of..." Heidi muttered sheepishly while handing the bottle back to its owner. "How did you all do?"

"I got an E in Transfiguration, just barely though," Fiona mumbled bitterly. It had always been her worst subject. She had nearly given up on the course altogether. However, her head of house, Professor Sprout, urged her to improve her grade in the course during her career advice meeting. After the meeting, Cedric took it upon himself to tutor her night and day.

Fiona grimaced at the memory of all the late-night arguments that broke out between the siblings during their study sessions; fueled by a lethal concoction of stress and exhaustion. Fiona doubted she would have been able to perform a proper vanishing spell during her exam without Cedric's determined assistance.

A feeling of guilt and embarrassment rushed over her at the thought.

"What about Potions?" Heidi asked. "I got an E, mum and dad weren't too happy about that one. They really wanted me to go on to Advanced potions this year- not that they really understand potions. They think it's like chemistry in the muggle world or something," Her voice dropped slightly. Fiona had managed an O in potions, as well as Herbology. They were the only subjects in which Fiona never felt as if her handicap prevented her from reaching her full potential.

"Anyone get a D?" Heidi asked apprehensively.

Fiona groaned and raised her hand. Alfie cheered, shooting his own hand in the air to give Fiona a high-five. "Mediocrity loves company," He chuckled.

"Divination and Astronomy, what about you?" Fiona asked Alfie. 

"Potions, Divination, and Transfiguration," He said, almost sounding proud. "Triple threat!"

"I just hope the course load isn't too hard this year, I barely managed to balance quidditch and studying last year" Malcolm groaned. Heidi seconded his concerns.

"Cedric was really channeling his inner Oliver Wood last year," Heidi sighed.

"It was worth it! Wood must have spent three hours in the showers after we beat them," Malcolm added with a chuckle.

"I for one, am looking forward to all the free periods in my schedule this term. I think I'll take Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures, Charms, and maybe Defense Against the Dark Arts. As long as we don't have another Lockheart," Alfie said in a relaxed tone. 

"You can't drop Muggle Studies! I'll be the only one left in the class!" Fiona exclaimed. Alfie and Fiona were already the only Hufflepuff students taking the course, the idea of being the sole badger did not sit well with her. 

"Just drop it too," Alfie said casually. Fiona frowned at his remark.

During the train ride, the group of Hufflepuff students were later joined by students from other houses such as Alicia Spinnet and Angelina Johnson.

Cedric and Patricia rejoined their housemates an hour into the train ride, interrupting a heated debate between Alicia and Malcolm over the outcome of the previous Quidditch season.