Is it my fault?

(Corrupted Peridot looks like the drawing shown above. Drawing by odu4 on tumblr)

It's been a year since Peridot was corrupted after she saved them while inside a crashing ship. A year since Steven lost the love of his life and to say he was sad was an understatement. He was devasted.

   When Peridot was first corrupted all he could think about was her, and the memories. She was in his arms, clinging to him for dear life. She was crying and her eyes were so black and lifeless. He tried to heal her but it didn't work. She corrupted right in front of him and he couldn't do anything to help her, and it was killing him inside. The memory just replayed over and over again.

He laid in bed at night, losing sleep thinking about it. And any sleep he did get was plagued with nightmares. He stayed in bed a lot, in his room. He didn't eat as much. He didn't smile as much. He didn't do much of anything except stay in his room and cry, reliving the memories that he and Peridot had together and wishing he could have that back. The gems tried to do what they could to help him.

Amethyst: Hey Steven, I know it's really hard right now.

Steven laid in bed staring at his phone, tears fresh in his eyes. He was staring at a photo of him and Peridot together. Amethyst glanced over his shoulder getting a peak at the picture and sighed.

Amethyst: I miss Peridot too...shorty squad is kind of incomplete without her but...I just want you to know I'm here for you.

Steven didn't look back at Amethyst. He simply nodded, silently wishing for her to leave him alone. Amethyst eventually did and he couldn't hold back his cries as soon as she left. Nighttime came and Steven was lying in bed having a not so peaceful sleep. He was having a dream. At first it was nice. He was with Peridot on the beach. She was her normal self.

Steven: I love you Peridot.

Peridot looked over at him and smiled. He missed her smile and her sparkling green eyes. Steven looked back at her but stopped when he saw black oil start to spill from her eyes.

Steven: P-Peridot?

Peridot: If you love me...then why didn't you save me?

Steven watched as she stood up black oil now spilling from her mouth and down her neck. He scrambled to stand up in a panic.

Steven: I-I tried but it didn't work. I'm sorry!

Peridot: I loved you..I trusted you...but you let my mind be broken.

Steven started to cry feeling nothing but guilt and sadness.

Steven: L-Let me heal you. I can-

Peridot: NO!

The ground shook beneath him and he struggled to stay balanced.

Peridot: It's too late. I'm gone.

Steven watched in horror as he had to watch her transform into a monster all over again. The monster was about to attack him when he suddenly woke up with a gasp, sitting up. He looked around his room breathing heavily and realized that it was just a dream. He looked at his hand which was visibly shaking. He doesn't know how much longer he can live like this.

   The next day Pearl had made Steven some breakfast in hopes of cheering him up. She made him chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream. He weakly walked down the stairs, bags under his eyes from the lack of sleep after his nightmare. Pearl tried not to stare at him as he walked over and sat down at the table. She put on a smile and placed the plate of pancakes in front of him.