Pansy turned back to look at Hermione, her expression was wistful, and open compared to the guarded look she usually wore.

"Eventually I realised that he would never return my feelings," she sighed, "And I decided that I could live with that. It was enough to love him and be someone he trusted." Her mouth twisted into a thin smile. "I'm sure you find that terribly un-Slytherin of me. But, I thought, that as long as he were happy I'd be able to bear it."

Her voice grew bitter and her features were twisted into the same sneer she'd directed toward Hermione so often back in school.

"When he wanted to help you pass the WRA, I agreed to help even though I suspected why he was doing it. But—When I realised he was dying because of you..." Pansy choked and was silent for a moment before declaring fiercely, "I'm not his mother. I don't care about 'respecting' his wishes. I can live with him hating me."

Hermione stared at Pansy in bewilderment. The woman was mad. They had both seen Draco only a few hours before and he was fine.

"Pansy," she said trying to use a calming voice. "I don't understand. What are you talking about?"

"Of course you don't," Pansy said bitterly, tears welling up in her eyes. "That's the worst part. He's putting himself through hell for you and you haven't even noticed."

"Why do you think Draco dying?" Hermione tried again, still keeping her voice even.

"I don't think!" Pansy snapped, "I know he is. And you would too if you'd look up from your legislative drafts long enough to realise he's in love with you or anything other damn thing!"

Her voice had a slightly hysterical note to it.

After taking several steadying breaths, Pansy brushed away the tears and seemed to compose herself slightly.

"Draco is a Veela. Well"—her shoulder twitched—"quarter-Veela, but apparently it's enough. And of course—he ended up choosing you," she said the last sentence sharply.

Hermione stared in disbelief. Even as she sat doubting the witch's grasp of reality, the gears in Hermione's mind began turning. The missing pieces suddenly all clicking into place.

He can't be, she thought.

But it all fit. All the things that hadn't made sense. All the strange inexplicable things she hadn't ever been able to find the answers to.

"But he won't claim you." Pansy said. "He refuses to. So he's dying. This is the the only option I have left."

Pansy stepped toward Hermione and her expression became remorseful.

"I doubt this will make you feel any better, Granger, but this isn't anything personal. It's the only choice I have left. I tried easier ways. I tried to help you. I thought, if I dropped enough hints you'd figured it for yourself over time, so that he couldn't just obliviate you. But, it's too late now. I just—I want you to know, I would never do this if there were any other way."

Hermione's heart was pounding as the implications of Pansy's words began to dawn on her.

Theo's kiss. Telling her about Prima Verde's earning report. Even the picture of Draco in The Daily Prophet. The bludgers...

Pansy's fingerprints were on all of it. Subtle manipulation. Trying to make Hermione pause. To make her question. Urging her and Draco toward each other.

Hermione felt cold. If the bludgers were Pansy's idea of easy...

What are you going to do to me?" Hermione breathed the question, her eyes widening.