Deck the Homes

Chapter 1

Deck the Homes

"Come quick, kids! I have a letter that you'll want to see!" Mr. McKendrick leaned forward in his chair for another look at the email on his screen.

It was a chilly Friday evening in early December. Ten-year-old James and seven-year-old Mandy hurried into the study.

Mandy knelt down on the carpet and leaned back onto her heels. James stood next to his dad's desk.

They turned to hear the jingling of metal collar tags as Rosco, their large German shepherd, shuffled into the room.

"Here, boy," said James. Rosco trotted across the floor and stood next to him.

"What is it, Daddy?" Mandy asked. "Is it a letter from Santa?"

"It's nothing quite that exciting," said Mr. McKendrick. "But I think you're going to like what it says!"

Mandy sat forward on her knees, eager to listen.

The McKendrick family lived in the lively suburban town of Harmony. Harmony held a spectacular holiday lights contest every December.

Hundreds of people entered, but only the best entrants, chosen by a panel of experienced judges, made it onto the city's official Holiday Lights Tour.

"Listen to this, kids. It says: Congratulations! My office is delighted to inform you that your neighborhood has been voted First Place in the Best Block category of the Official Holiday Lights Contest."

"First place?" James stared at the screen. "Us?"

Mandy rose to her feet. "Seriously—us?"

Mr. McKendrick spun around in his chair to face the kids.

"Yes, us!" said Dad, brimming with enthusiasm. "Why is that so hard to believe?" He pointed to the window. "First place—Best Block—our neighborhood! All of our planning, all of our hard work in the past few weeks, kids—it's finally paid off! We did it!"

 "First place—Best Block—our neighborhood! All of our planning, all of our hard work in the past few weeks, kids—it's finally paid off! We did it!"

Mandy threw her arms around her dad's neck and gave a hard squeeze. "Because it's the first time we ever even entered the contest, Daddy! I mean, of all the blocks—I can't believe we won!"

"This is very, very cool, Dad!" James patted Rosco on the back then lifted a fist to the air. "Yes!"

Rosco looked up at James, confused. What did it mean that their block was the best? The best what?

Mr. McKendrick swiveled around in his chair to face the computer screen again. "I thought you guys might think so. But wait. There's more." He cleared his throat. "As organizer of your block, we request that you inform the participants in your neighborhood to prepare for large crowds of visitors on opening night, the first Friday in December, and for all weekend evenings through the end of the month. Good luck and thanks for participating in this honored Harmony holiday tradition."