Chapter Eleven

Ro felt very odd lying in bed the next day, not scrambling to get up as she usually did before the sunrise. She tried to have a lie in, but felt incredibly penitent as Viola and the other maids were scurrying around to get ready for a long day of hard work. When she guiltily told Viola of her plans, Viola was quite annoyed and bristled at the fact she was getting special treatment 'because she is beautiful'. This upset Ro who was left frozen in shock as Viola stormed out. She knew Viola had every right to be upset, but she doubted Viola would deny the Prince his wishes or refuse a day off if it was the other way round. Ro wanted to talk to Hattie about the situation, but she was always busy in the kitchen, and Ro thought she may be upset with her too considering she was doing what everybody warned against – getting close to the Prince.

Ro hoped that Theo remembered to tell Evangeline she would not be serving her that day, and assigned her a new maid, otherwise she would kick off more then she was bound to already. Ro spent the morning productively making good use of her time practicing reading and writing, and tidying her and Viola's things away neatly. She hardly knew what to do with herself with all the spare time. She arrived early to lunch so that she could say hello to Hattie and not have to face the judgmental maids. Still, a few of the kitchen staff scoffed at her and looked at her as if she had caused a great scandal. She hurried out of the kitchen when she heard the voices chattering from down the hallway, signifying the maids were coming in their hundreds.

Ro had planned to meet Theo out by the stables, so she trudged along the stone path flanked by graceful trees on each side to where the Royal Family's thirty horses resided. These animals lived better then she had for the most part of her life. Wanting to look like more then a maid for her arrangement with Theodosius, Ro had decided to wear her Sunday dress, a plain, modest burgundy frock with a satin sash around the waist. It was nowhere near as nice as Annalise's dresses, but she felt respectable in it.

"Ah Ro! I was worried you weren't going to come!" Theo exclaimed as he noticed her making her way up to the stables.

He looked quite dashing in black breeches, a plain white shirt and a long heavy-looking rich red cloak, with a golden fastening keeping it pinned around his shoulders.

"Well I said I would, so here I am. Thank you for giving me the day off." Ro replied with a smile.

"Ah do not worry about it Ro. I was thinking today we could ride up to Calloway Heights, it is very beautiful and there is a waterfall and natural pools there, which I am sure you will love." Theo suggested as he held his arm out to Ro and directed her along to a powerful steed with a sleek black coat and glossy mane.

The groom was struggling to keep a hold of the impatient horse, his powerful muscles rippling as he tried to run off.

"That sounds wonderful Theo, I am so excited!" Ro exclaimed.

"Perfect, well as I gather you cannot ride, I thought we should ride together on the same horse, if you are comfortable with that." Theo suggested causing Ro's cheeks to redden.

"Erm s-sure. It will be easier." Ro tried to keep a straight face as she replied.

"Perfect, well this here is my horse Mr Midnight – Annalise named him."

"How sweet! Are you sure he will be ok carrying the two of us?" She asked worriedly.

"Oh he will be just fine, you weigh nothing Ro, and he is very strong, coming from a line of purebreds. Now I will get on first, and then I will pull you up, ok?" Ro nodded in agreement.

The whole movement was rather awkward for Ro who found it quite difficult to mount a creature bigger then her, and also was extra gentle as she did not want to hurt him. In the end, the groom had to give her a push whilst Theo pulled, and the horse whinnied in disgruntlement as she finally settled onto his back. She noticed a few of the groomsmen and even the other horses seemed to be laughing at her, making her retreat into Theo's back. Only then did she realise how close she was going to be to him for the remainder of the journey. Mr Midnight was indeed very powerful and strong, and at first she clung onto Theo like a limpet, unused to the bumpy motion and valiant speed, but eventually she relaxed as they raced through the forests and laughed with joy. She loved riding the horse, with Theo holding her hands safely whilst they almost flew through the trees. Memories clawed at her mind as she was sure she had experienced this before in the past, remembering the awe-inspiring feeling of flying on her horse.