Chapter Nine

Ro was exhausted after helping Lady Evangeline pick her afternoon shoes out (which was a long and boring process in which Ro was not given the opportunity to help at all), and escorting her to the sitting room for tea with other high ranking young ladies. Evangeline had explicitly told Ro that she was only walking her to the sitting room to show off how fabulously wealthy and powerful she was. After that mildly embarrassing ordeal which made Ro feel like dirt under Evangeline's feet, she hurried back to the servant's quarters to finish her chores. She had spent a number of hours helping Evangeline who seemed to be in love with the reflection in her mirror, which led to Ro being behind schedule.

It was as she was racing around the corner, trying not to break out into a full run when she bumped into a beautiful girl with curly brown hair. Luckily, neither of them fell over, although Ro was very embarrassed that she had caused such an accident to occur. She burned an even brighter shade of red when she took in the sparkling tiara on the lady's head, signifying that she was actually the Princess Annalise Theo spoke so lovingly about.

"Oh my I am so sorry!" Ro gasped as she fell into a deep curtsy.

"It is ok, I understand it was an accident, although maybe leave the hurrying to less civilised individuals." The Princess chuckled, looking like an exact copy of her mother apart from her emerald eyes, which were replicas of her fathers.

"Of course, I am truly so sorry your highness." Ro apologised again with her head hanging in shame.

"There is no harm done. What is your name, maid?" The Princess asked curiously, her expression so much like her brothers it was uncanny.

"I am Ro your highness."

"Oh, finally I meet the mysterious girl my brother brought home! He was right, you are very beautiful!" The Princess gasped excitedly causing Ro to blush.

Did Theo really say such a thing about her?

"Oh I am so excited to meet you – I am Princess Annalise. How are you finding the castle?" She asked with excitement dancing in her eyes.

"It is beautiful. I am most grateful to your family for taking me in and giving me a job." Ro replied politely.

"Oh do not be silly Ro! If Theodosius had his own way, you would not be working at all. Tell me, how are you feeling, and have you recovered any memories?" She asked as she put a comforting hand on Ro's shoulder, as if she genuinely cared about her.

"Well, the doctor has signed me off and the bump on my head has gone as you can see, but as for memories... sometimes I get little triggers but nothing of real importance." Ro sighed tiredly.

She was becoming weary of worrying if she would ever remember who she really was. Every night she repeated the exercises the doctor had suggested, trying to clear her mind and think of triggers – anything that would unlock the mystery of the past. So far, she had only succeeded in frustrating herself and Viola, who was a light sleeper and awoke even when Ro started breathing slightly heavier.

"I am so sorry Ro... if there is anything we can do please let me or Theodosius know. We are here for you."

"Thank you so much Princess Annalise, you are very kind." Ro smiled, feeling as though the Princess and she had become instant friends.

"I know! You should come and enjoy the evening meal with us this afternoon!" Annalise exclaimed animatedly.

"Are you quite certain your highness?" Ro asked with a furrow in-between her brows. "I am only a maid..."

"So? I do not care, you seem very lovely, and my brother is quite taken with you. Also stop this 'your highness' nonsense. We are friends now Ro, so please, just call me Annalise." She winked.